Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Steering column

To: Donald Ray <bizcoachdonald@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Steering column
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 19:21:25 -0500
Hi Donald,
I'm quite not clear what you are trying to do but I suspect that you are
taking the complete steering column out of the car however, if you are just
trying to remove the stator switch (horn and turn signal switch) you may
have difficulties if the stuff at the top of the column is rusted.
The 3 grub screws that George mentions are 10/32 slot head steel screws in
an alloy casting. When things are rusted they can be VERY difficult to
remove. As you try to unscrew them the slot spreads jamming the grub screw
into the casting.
The switch has a plate on it which rests on a step inside the steering
wheel . The grub screws enter just above the step and their points jam the
plate down onto the step when screwed in.
Drilling any steel screw out of an alloy casting is difficult at the best
of times and when you add in the access issues these can be very difficult.
I have managed to get them out by making up a 10/32 threaded drilling guide
to center drill the grub screw with a 1/16" drill then drilling out with
progressively larger drills until the point of the grub screw falls off and
you can extract the stator switch assembly. Be careful to fit a stop collar
on the drill bit to prevent its penetrating too deeply and damaging the
switch.
Whatever you do DO NOT pry between the switch cover and the steering wheel.
The bakelite is easily broken.
Once you have the switch out and steering wheel removed the easiest
solution to the drilled out grub screws is to drill and tap 3 new holes in
the hub and just fill in the old ones and paint over.
If you are trying to remove the entire steering column let me know and I'll
send further instructions.
--
Michael Salter

        Check My Blog