Re: [Healeys] Venting a PCV

To: Simon Lachlan <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Venting a PCV
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 05:23:05 -0800
BJ8s, of course, have the wonderful 'log' intake manifold.  I ran my PCV valve
to the pre-existing, plugged port that
was probably used for a vacuum gauge on other cars that used the same manifold
(?).  Anyway, the servo hose and the PCV
valve go to the same place, no different than what you are suggesting, and I
haven't had any servo issues in (at least)
30K miles.  Since both the servo and the PCV circuits are both more-or-less
under constant vacuum I don't see much risk
of the crankcase gasses being back-routed to the servo.  Also, pretty much
every American car sold since, oh, 1970 or
earlier has pretty much the same  setup, with the PCV and brake servo getting
vacuum from the manifold.

OTOH, some vehicles, like my Ford Ranger, are known for developing sticky
throttles from 'carbon' buildup in the
manifold, likely due to the PCV valve dumping into the manifold.   That's
certainly possible with a PCV valve in a
Healey, but I'll deal with it if and when it happens (carb/choke cleaner did
the trick for my Ranger).

Can't help on the plug.  If it's hollow, you may be able to drill a hole in the
center and 'collapse' the threads into it.

Bob

--
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net