[Healeys] Grand Prix - The Killer Years

Subject: [Healeys] Grand Prix - The Killer Years
From: austin.healey at gmail.com (Chris Dimmock)
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 23:16:32 +1100
Last two F1 drivers to die as a result of an on track F1 incident were Roland
Ratzenberger on 30 April 1994, and Ayrton Senna, on 1 May 1994.
How do I remember this stuff?
That weekend started with Geoffrey Healey passing on 29 April 1994, whilst
mowing his lawn at Barford.....
That was the saddest 3 consecutive days I can remember...
Chris

Sent from my iPhone

On 09/03/2012, at 1:41 PM, "Greg Lemon" <glemon at neb.rr.com> wrote:

> I agree, Senna is almost like part II of the Killer Years documentary, at
least from the standpoint of safety in F1 (F1 fans also can't help but notice
the many lingering shots of Niki Lauda's burned face), they made huge strides
in the 70s and 80s. The tragic May day at Imola in 1994 led to further safety
efforts initially led by former formula 1 trackside doctor and Senna's friend
Dr. Sid Watkins, they were apparently successful based upon the figures, but
given the general parameters of F1 and other top league racing efforts will
always make racing safer, but never completely safe.

> A huge step was also the SAFER barrier widely in US racing and also used at
some F1 venues,  it was initially developed at my alma mater, the University
of Nebraska Lincoln, I had absolutely no role in its development, but did tour
the engineering college when it was in initial testing stages and got an early
presentation on it, great stuff.