[Healeys] paint stripper

Subject: [Healeys] paint stripper
From: bce257 at yahoo.co.nz (Andrew Thorp)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 01:43:51 -0700 (PDT)
Anything with methylene chloride in it will get the paint off the metal but
don't use it on the fibreglass as it will eat the gelcoat.

I did my shrouds
& ht last year and used the cheapest hardware store stripper in 4 litre tins.
Slop it on with a paint brush and scrub it off after ten minutes with a brass
wire brush. Clean the wire bristles off with a rag when they are caked up and
you don't make very much mess at all. If you have heaps of paint layers the
first ones can be scraped on the flat areas with a paint scraper but only very
gentle scraping on the curved bits. Good hose down afterwards before the
stripper starts to dry and you're done.

For the hardtop I used a citrus based
stripper and it worked well although a little more slowly than the methylene
chloride type. I covered it in plastic kitchen wrap and came back in half an
hour with the wire brush. It took about five goes to get it all off. Don't get
the fibreglass soaking wet as it absorbs moisture.

Lots and lots of photos
before and during stripdown...

Andy.

--- On Mon, 23/4/12, caddi5 at comcast.net
<caddi5 at comcast.net> wrote:

> From: caddi5 at comcast.net <caddi5 at comcast.net>

> To: healeys at autox.team.net
> Hello Gentlemen,
>
> What is the very
best.......... PAINT
> STRIPPER/REMOVER?   I am going to strip my

shrouds,doors,and hard top.  I beleive that Imron paint
> was used but not
sure of that .so I want the best alll
> around remover.................and yes
I know it will be a