Re: [Healeys] Thermostat Choices

To: Kenneth Fleming <ahmg@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Thermostat Choices
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 08:16:30 +0200
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net
I prefer to run my engines hot. They are more efficient and better
running, however I do this with a thermoswitch controlled electric fan
that replaces the fixed fan and a 10lbs radiator cap. Even in a hot
climate this should not present a problem on one condition and that is
that the radiator must have sufficient cooling capacity, which in hot
climates means a larger core than standard. Anyway, you get a bigger
heat transfer from radiator to air if the coolant temp is higher as you
have a higher delta T.
The temperature reading on the gauge should only be slightly higher than
the opening temperature of the thermostat, again on the condition that
the radiator has sufficient cooling capacity. Only in dense traffic or
in the mountains will it go up to between the switching temperatures of
the thermoswitch if fitted with an electric fan. In many cases a classic
car with a fixed fan may overheat in a serious traffic jam.
160F is not cold enough to damage the engine.
You can get OE NOS sleeved thermostats in a variety of opening
temperatures. Moss has a sleeved thermostat which is a modified modern
item, 160F only if I am not mistaken.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

--
Kees Oudesluijs
Dorpsstraat 183

Technische commissie Jensen Healey en GT
Het Jensen Genootschap Holland
www.jensenholland.nl