Re: [Healeys] Thermostat Choices

To: Kenneth Fleming <ahmg@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Thermostat Choices
From: Chris Dimmock <austin.healey@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 20:56:52 +1000
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
180 - 185 degrees is the optimal temperature for the trade off between wear
and power.
If you don't care about wear - then go down to 165. If you don't care about
power, then run it up to 200.
Here's a pic

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e315/ekrubi/img216.gif

How you achieve that temperature is up to you, but if you put a thermo fan in
front of your radiator, don't race it. You block off too much airflow.
Use a 180 thermostat.
I boiled a bugeye, in the snow, driving from Jindabyne to Perisher at 2.00am
Removed the huge thermo fan after that.....
Look at how much radiator area is covered by a thermo fan in front of the
radiator. Then look at the maximum airspeed the fan generates. No thermo fan
blows at 80 plus mph
Best
Chris

Sent from my iPhone

On 01/09/2012, at 11:49 AM, Kenneth Fleming <ahmg@aol.com> wrote:

> I recall reading in the past a thread discussing the different options for
thermostats for BJ8`s. Currently there are several options that will work and
some of the choice is based on personal preference, home climate, antifreeze
mixture etc.  I have had over the years several different temperature
thermostats in my car.
> With a 160,180,and 190 degree thermostat what should I expect my gauge to
read  on each if assuming it is calibrated correct? Is this degree designation
an exact number? (forgot not much is exact with a Healey) Also, with running
a160 degree year round could it potentially run the car to cold in colder
months and do any damage to the engine? Our winters are not to harsh or long
in the southeast, but I do drive year round.
> I have had the sleeved type with success recently from Moss purchased a few
years back. (NFI)
> If this subject has been thoroughly discussed in the recent past, I would
appreciate someone directing me to it