[Healeys] 100-6 BN4 brake bleeding - follow up

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] 100-6 BN4 brake bleeding - follow up
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 08:48:28 +0100
Original was bounced, too big..

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Lachlan [mailto:simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk]
Sent: 23 October 2012 08:36
To: 'fiat500f@aol.com'; 'healeys@autox.team.net'
Subject: RE: [Healeys] 100-6 BN4 brake bleeding - follow up

"If the bleeding of any cylinder continues without success for a
considerable time it is possible that air is being drawn in past the bleeder
screw threads. In such cases tighten the bleeder screw at the end of each
downward stoke of the pedal and allow the pedal to return fully before
re-opening it. Close the bleeder screw finally during the last pedal
application."

I have not been following this thread so forgive me if you've got past this
being a possibility. However, I can never get a 100% firm pedal unless I
follow the advice above which is in my BMC manual. The paragraph is not in
my manual AKD 1179D which I have on my laptop but was a subsequent addition
to later manuals such as the printed version which I keep in my
garage/workshop. One might infer that BMC realized that there was a definite
tendency for a little air to be  drawn back in when the pedal stops
moving/reaches bottom. Hence the further advice. (The threads can only have
become more worn with the passage of time).
I also suspect that a lot of our experts do this as a matter of course, so
much so that they may fail to mention it as being something to look out for.
I, on the other hand, hate bleeding brakes & always find it an ordeal so
have to be reasonably sure to get it right first time.
Anyhow, I'm sure you'll get it fixed in the end.
Simon