Re: [Healeys] Chassis - Dipping vs Blasting

To: Mike Tobin <ahbt71@gmail.com>, "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Chassis - Dipping vs Blasting
From: HealeyRick <healeyrick@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 09:30:52 -0800 (PST)
Hi Mike

I had my bugeye dipped by Redi-Strip in Worcester (no longer in
business) about 35 yrs ago and have been very pleased.  You'll need to ask
them about the shrouds, some of the processes eat aluminum.  You'll want to
make sure all the chemicals have drained out of the chassis before you start
painting and tip it around so the stuff can flow out.  If you don't get paint
or some kind of rust-inhibiting product on it right after stripping you'll get
new rust almost immediately,  Some of the strippers will offer a phosphate
process that will keep the rust away until you put paint on it.  PPG DP 40 is
a great epoxy primer to use.  If you dip, you'll get all the rust etc that's
on the inside of the chassis rails which is great.  However, you are left with
nice clean metal that can't wait to start rusting again.  So give some thought
on how you'll coat the inside of the chassis.  I've heard of guys shooting
POR-15 inside, but I've also heard that it only
 sticks well to rust and not to clean surfaces.  I'd probably shoot DP40 in
there, too but you're going to have to use some wands to get it everywhere.
For my bugeye, I shot Waxoyl everywhere I could.

Happy Healeydays,

Rick
"Madman in a death machine"
Follow My Nasty Boy Build: