Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Speedometer Troubleshooting

To: "Mike Garvey" <r3m1g4@verizon.net>, <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Speedometer Troubleshooting
From: Bob Yule <autofarm@xplornet.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 14:16:52 -0500
    Mike, I would suspect that the angle drive is broken and this is usually
caused by the speedometer seizing up.  This is often caused by years of
grease accumulation, which dries out and goes hard.  The cure is to
dissmantle the speedo and give a good clean. We use brake cleaner in an
aerosol.   Make sure the cable is in good condition, both inner and outer,
and check or replace the angle drive.  Make sure that the joints between the
cable and speedo, cable and angle drive and angle drive to transmission are
in good condition.  No corners rounded off etc.
    We then calibrate the units, but it is more than I want to try and
describe here.
    Although it is possible to remove the angledrive from underneath the
car, with long skinny fingers, it is far easier to get at by removing the
transmission tunnel.  Always a fun job on a BJ8.
Cheers.......Bob
Check out our web site www.autofarm.net