Re: [Healeys] Discovery's - Engine Milestone and setback - more info

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Discovery's - Engine Milestone and setback - more info
From: john spaur <jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 18:52:05 -0800
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net mail.com>
I forgot to mention I have a DW cam. It is line bored the full length
and plugged at the end of the line at the rear bearing.

The shop manual states that the second oil way (from the oil pump on
the right hand side of the engine) supplies oil to the #3 cam
bearing. In my case the oil would be forced through the center of the
cam shaft to the other three bearings too. I presume oil would flow
out around the bearing into the hollow at the back of the engine and
then flow into the crankcase through the 1/4" round or so hole at the
bottom of the hollow.

I can't see how enough pressure could build up in the hollow to blow
the gasket unless the hole was plugged.

John