Re: [Healeys] 26.5mm Iridium plugs in AEC960 head - xpost

To: Steve Gerow <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 26.5mm Iridium plugs in AEC960 head - xpost
From: Chris Dimmock <austin.healey@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 14:47:15 +1100
Cc: "<healeys@autox.team.net>" <healeys@autox.team.net>
I see your point Steve. These plugs you mentioned are 26.5 mm reach, whereas
the conventional Healey spec is 19mm reach.
So these plugs will go deeper into the AEC960 head (by .295in) if it was
incorrectly machined at the factory (which all the ones I've seen were)
http://www.myaustinhealey.com/aec960-healey-cylinder-head.html
So to answer your question, no, I haven't tried these plugs, I just had the
head machined at the spark plug seat so the plug fitted correctly. I can't
remember how much had to be machined, but i don't think it was .295in -
probably closer to .200in But I'm just guessing, you know, measure twice...
I use NGK B8EGV plugs, which cost around $5 - $6 ea in the US ($18 ea here
retail in Australia, so thanks Amazon and eBay!!)
Best
Chris