[Healeys] The Power of Healey

To: healeylist <healeys@autox.team.net>, Michael Grant <mgrant@mossmotors.com> s=q20121106; t=1365980427; bh=I9rYUsn2WlIoVWs/uLc7aINNRRu9dJdp9OypdbJ3q+Y=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:MIME-Version:To:Subject: Content-Type; b=k2A9j2u3tlAgFWHr20wzjrJQIKJ62ZIeW1KrjcWn6K/UL9Bmuz3dGl2B1jsKq6M39 wfJSs3wmsAI6HIPf3LnujfW71u3bd63/ClFuvJZNxZb3+yXcLJHFRYv/fsCqnl8So6 Z70zEaNlcqc/11P769tYgIVrPvTcih9KYAE7hcNwcfMLHaEseIXzAJAMfdgfOJRN4L tjui0sPHg3TMOY50h7nyYgjqBPEm1SvbUCP8hcBvZba/QoEODINBQEWGkheBq8VPZj rkzje21YLoCRTsF5YTyE2FNobfqT+mFL855mNOvDrYXj/+dZL45E3uIFp/mnBTxvr3 bPGI/lm61Z0CQ==
Subject: [Healeys] The Power of Healey
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 16:00:18 -0700
I have a neighbor named Mike.  Although I'm on good terms with most of my
neighbors, Mike and I have the most in common
and have occasional long conversations but we're not what you'd call BFFs.
About 12 years or so ago Mike's first wife
died of cancer.  Mike was understandably despondent and, at some point either
me or my girlfriend at the time decided he
needed to get out and about.  I offered to take Mike on a day trip in my BJ8;
we drove down to Pinnacles National
Monument and spent the day hiking and returned. He seemed to enjoy the trip and
the car but I don't recall him bringing
it much, if at all, in the ensuing years.

A few days ago, Mike came over while I was working in my garage. After the
usual exchange of pleasantries and chit-chat
Mike said he had a 'big favor' to ask (I noticed he seemed unusually emotional
and might have been fighting back
tears).  Now, Mike isn't one to ask for favors--typical Midwesterner (he's
originally from Michigan)--and I figured he
just needed me to water or mow his lawn while he took a trip (he's semi-retired
now and is making the most of it).  I
had noticed that Mike had a fresh bandage on his neck--he'd had surgery and
radiation treatment for thyroid cancer
previously and had to have another surgery and was facing the radiation
treatment again.  We didn't talk about it, but
the prognosis is likely not great.

Anyway, the 'big favor' Mike asked for?  He wants to take another trip in the
Healey.  Turns out that day trip in a
Healey meant a lot to him, and now he wants to take another during an extremely
trying time.  I've planned an
overnighter down the California coast through Big Sur, a night in Morro Bay
then back up through an inland route known
for wildflower displays this time of year.

Now, any car might do for such an occasion--certainly any British sports
car--but for Mike the Healey is special (and
he's not a 'car guy').  I'm getting a queue of people wanting to take trips in
the Healey.

Our route:

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Hwy1BigSur.htm

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway25.htm