Re: [Healeys] The Power of Healey

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] The Power of Healey
From: healeyguy@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 20:51:53 -0400 (EDT)
Acts of kindness, such as you have extended to Mike, may not make make folks
our friends but it will make a memory that is something special to both the
recipient and the giver for the rest of their days. As folks in Hawaii and at
least one old guy in western Pennsylvania frequently say, Good on you, Brah
(brother)...good on you
Aloha
Perry

Bob Spidell wrote
I have a neighbor named Mike.  Although I'm on good terms with most of my
eighbors, Mike and I have the most in common
nd have occasional long conversations but we're not what you'd call BFFs.
About
2 years or so ago Mike's first wife
ied of cancer.  Mike was understandably despondent and, at some point either
me
r my girlfriend at the time decided he
eeded to get out and about.  I offered to take Mike on a day trip in my BJ8;
we
rove down to Pinnacles National
onument and spent the day hiking and returned. He seemed to enjoy the trip and
he car but I don't recall him bringing
t much, if at all, in the ensuing years.
A few days ago, Mike came over while I was working in my garage. After the
usual
xchange of pleasantries and chit-chat
ike said he had a 'big favor' to ask (I noticed he seemed unusually emotional
nd might have been fighting back
ears).  Now, Mike isn't one to ask for favors--typical Midwesterner (he's
riginally from Michigan)--and I figured he
ust needed me to water or mow his lawn while he took a trip (he's semi-retired
ow and is making the most of it).  I
ad noticed that Mike had a fresh bandage on his neck--he'd had surgery and
adiation treatment for thyroid cancer
reviously and had to have another surgery and was facing the radiation
reatment again.  We didn't talk about it, but
he prognosis is likely not great.
Anyway, the 'big favor' Mike asked for?  He wants to take another trip in the
ealey.  Turns out that day trip in a
ealey meant a lot to him, and now he wants to take another during an extremely
rying time.  I've planned an
vernighter down the California coast through Big Sur, a night in Morro Bay
then
ack up through an inland route known
or wildflower displays this time of year.
Now, any car might do for such an occasion--certainly any British sports
ar--but for Mike the Healey is special (and
e's not a 'car guy').  I'm getting a queue of people wanting to take trips in
he Healey.
Our route:
http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Hwy1BigSur.htm
http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway25.htm