Re: [Healeys] BN1 Head

To: "'Simon Griffin'" <simon_grif@msn.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN1 Head
From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <p_cquinn@tpg.com.au>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 12:34:01 +1000
G'day

Yes that's true. Austin had massively overestimated the success of the A90
in the US. In fact when you look at the export figures far more Austin A90
Atlantics came to Australia than any other country.

No doubt the first Healey 100 had an A90 engine, but the engine in the
production 100 was slightly different. Put an A90 engine next to a 100
engine and it's easy to see that at the bottom of the A90 head there is more
metal (vertical part of the casting) due to the larger combustion chambers.
Then look at the thermostat housing and you will see that it is smaller in
the A90 and the A70 (2.2 litre version of the engine). The Weslake patent
mark is on them both.

One of the differences with the block is that in the A90 there is just a
single bolt to hold the distributor in place while there are two in the 100.
However I suspect that when BMC issued a replacement block they sent out an
A90 which would explains the number of 100s running around with A90 engines
in them.

Many years ago I used an A70 engine in the 100 I had at the time. A lot less
power and it would start to valve bounce in top overdrive at around 80mph.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Blue Mountains, Australia