Re: [Healeys] oil pressure gauge problem

To: Roland Wilhelmy <rwil@sbcglobal.net>, Chris Dimmock <austin.healey@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] oil pressure gauge problem
From: BJ8 Healeys <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 1:00:16 +0000
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Chris, I respect Barney Gaylord, too.  But his vast experience is with MGAs,
which can lead some people to try to calibrate their Healey fuel gauge to the
wrong values if they follow Barney's instructions.  I don't know if the MG/MGA
or Triumph oil system is identical to BJ8 Healeys (the only kind I have any
experience with), but it seems to me this is turning into one of those many
issues, like thermostat operation, that comes down to individual experience and
anecdote.  My needle vibrates when I bleed the system and I've proved it to
myself twice, once on purpose and once inadvertently.  Someone else's might
vibrate without bleeding, but I personally doubt it.  Unless we can have
several people do the test the same way and report results, I guess the answer
is:  do whatever works for you.  If your needle starts vibrating, let some air
in.  If that doesn't do it, bleed it.  Or vice-versa.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC USA