Re: [Healeys] oil pressure gauge problem

To: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] oil pressure gauge problem
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 13:58:34 -0400
Enough already...scheeech!!!
1. Most oil pumps produce a fluctuation in pressure as they rotate. This
varies considerably from pump to pump depending upon the type of pump and
its condition.
2. Oil is a liquid and as such is virtually incompressible.
3. air is a gas (on mixture of gasses) and as such id highly compressible.
4. There is a very small restriction orifice in the adapter on the block
before the oil pressure line.
5. Some pressure gauges have better self damping as a result of friction in
the gauge and/or air in the Borden tube.
SO.... if the oil pump in your engine is of the type that produces a
pressure fluctuation and the line is filled with oil right to the gauge,
and your gauge does not exhibit self damping characteristics the needle
will probably fluctuate at idle as it senses the pressure fluctuations from
the pump directly through the incompressible fluid (oil).
If the line after the restriction is filled with air, which is
compressible, the tiny volume of oil which can pass through the restriction
during one cycle of the pressure fluctuation will almost certainly be
insufficient to compress the air in the line sufficiently to affect the
gauge reading visually...
Lets get back to Texas Coolers :-)

Michael S

--