Re: [Healeys] Need main bearing rear cap

To: healey.nut@gmail.com, lyboltinsurance@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Need main bearing rear cap
From: "rrengineer.mike" <rrengineer.mike@att.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 02:53:32 -0700
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net
I was given a bare block for my BN2 as there was no drive train in my new
project car. B It was missing the front and middle main caps. B It also had a
chunk missing from the bottom of the water pump hole like someone could not get
the bottom shrouded nut off the water pump stud and just broke it off. B I
found a guy near me that fixed old engine blocks like Model A engines. He
brazed a piece of cast iron in and ground the surface flat. You can not tell
there was a repair. As far as the missing main caps, I was very lucky. B I won
an auction on ebay for a grab bag of Healey engine parts. B  The only 4
cylinder parts were a front and middle main cap. B It was a long shot. B When
my machinist tapped them in place the two sides matched perfectly. The only
problem was the block had been originally line bored slightly lower on the
engine the two Ebay caps came from. Easy fix though. The machinist (yes, he was
an old school type) just machined some metal off the surfaces that met the
block to bring it up in line. B It was then line bored. B When the machinist
showed it to me, he grabbed the installed crankshaft and gave a hard pull on
it. B It made almost a complete turn. B "Perfect!", he said. B No, "lucky", I
said. B So, maybe you will find a cap for your engine. Just hope it's out of
line in the vertical plane and not the horizontal. B My machinist said he had
plenty of taking off tools, but none for putting metal on.
Mike MacLean
56 BN2
60 AN5