Re: [Healeys] running lights

To: "warthodson@aol.com" <warthodson@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] running lights
From: Curtis Arndt <cnaarndt@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 18:35:31 -0700
Cc: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Gary,

They are called parking lights for a reason, they were used for parking,
and especially parallel parking so as not to blind other drivers with your
headlights.  Maybe a bit antiquated, but that's the way it was taught 45
years ago.  Plus the idea is to be seen by other cars (and trucks) so if
it's dark enough for parking lights, it's dark enough for all lights.

Additionally, Florida and California require that in the rain if the wipers
are on, then the lights are on.  Also a good idea to be more visible to
other drivers, especially trucks.

Plus in most states I've lived, it is illegal to drive with just parking
lights on.  Some states do allow you to drive with them, but I believe they
are in the minority.

Curt

>From a professional truck driver...

Something to keep in mind... You are driving in the rain with just your
park lights on and you go to pass that semi in the right lane... At the
same time, the driver of that truck needs to change lanes because of a
slower moving vehicle in front of him. They look in the mirror and can't
see anything through the road spray coming off their wheels, so they
signal, and change lanes... the only problem is... you are just about even
with the trailer wheels when this whole thing transpires.... If you had
your headlights on, that driver would have seen you back there through the
mist and would have waited for you to go by, but if they can't see you,
they may endanger your life unintentionally. Granted... we could go into a
long discussion regarding who's fault it would be and more than likely the
driver would be sighted for a number of violations, but you would still be
dead.

Silver, grey and other dark colored cars literally "disappear" in the road
spray thrown off the tires of a truck. I have a rule, and so do a few
states in the US... if your wipers are on, turn your headlights on too.
This is not for you to be able to see, but for you to be able to be "seen"!