Re: [Healeys] Points vs electronic ignition

To: "'Mitch'" <dayton21@comcast.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Points vs electronic ignition
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 14:41:19 -0000
I have a MkII BT7 but I don't imagine that my comments will be totally
irrelevant...
I had cause to have my Lucas DM6 distributor looked at professionally during
some problematic issue. It was diagnosed as being structurally very sound,
ie no wear in the shaft etc. I replaced the vacuum device (split), changed
the springs, cleaned out the gunk of ages, replaced the cap and the points.
It was pretty well as good  as new. So that's the starting point for
comparison purposes.
I then bought a Pertronics and experimented with that. I liked it; it was
neat and tidy, reliable & gave a nice idle and good response.
Just for the hell of it I got a 123Ignition unit and fitted that, keeping
the DM6 with Pertronics as a spare. (I had a spare "driving dog" attached so
it could, hopefully be done on the roadside if the 123 died the electronic
death.)
Anyhow, the 123 was an improvement on the Pertronics. It's easy to fit,
adjustable and more sophisticated. Look it up on the web. The one that I
bought looks quite like a Lucas ie not incongruous; the cap is Bosch so can
be bought anywhere. I use it in conjunction with a Lucas sports coil and NGK
BPR5ES plugs gapped at 0.030.
I took the car for a long trip in the summer, south-west UK to French
Mediterranean via the highest Alps en route. It all worked well.
Simon