Re: [Healeys] Points vs electronic ignition

To: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Points vs electronic ignition
From: Tom Felts <tomfelts@windstream.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:52:12 -0500
And-----I have carried a spare Pertronix around for years waiting for the time
one fails------years now----13 to be exact.  Heck--that spare must be corroded
by now.

tom

---- Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl> wrote:

=============
Electronic ignition is far superior to points, especially in the higher
rev. ranges. Once the timing is set properly it will stay that way. The
spark is more powerful so you would arguably get a better ignition of
the fuel mixture. It certainly will start easier. There is no points
bounce.
There is no discernible difference in fuel consumption compared with a
well set up and maintained points system, contrary to what is claimed.

There are a few disadvantages:
-as it is a fit and forget affair you also tend to forget to maintain
the distributor, i.e. lubrication of the felt on the top of the shaft,
lubrication of the advance weights, checking the rotor and cap on
corrosion/burning.
-you are stuck when the ignition goes wrong, you cannot fix it by the
road side unless you have a spare base plate with points, condenser etc.

Make sure that you always have the right resistance on the ignition,
generally 3 Ohm, check the fitting instructions of the electronic
ignition, there are systems that deviate..
If you have an ignition system in your car with ballast resistor, fit
the electronic ignition over the coil plus resistor, both are appr. 1,5
Ohm, so 3 Ohm in total. If you would fit the electronic ignition over
the coil only (which is often done, also by mechanics who should know
better) you may fry the ignition. You also do well to disconnect the
small white/yellow wire from the starter solenoid that shorts the
resistor when starting up. Alternatively replace the coil and resister
by a 3 Ohm coil only.
Make sure your spark plugs are set slightly wider and renew the plug leads.

I have used Pertronix, Lumenition Magtronic and Lumenition Optronic. All
did well but I would go for the Pertronix as is seems a bit more robust.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL