Re: [Healeys] Webers, dellortos

To: Simon Lachlan <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Webers, dellortos
From: Derek Job <derek.c.job@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 10:10:54 +0000
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net
Simon

The truth is that you really only need Webers for racing or competitionbut so
whatthey look fantasticso why not.

I'm sure Kees will tell you to get Dellortos and he may be right, but Webers
are what everybody goes for.

The most common set up is using 45 DCOE's with 36mm chokes. Mine use the
following

Choke 36mm

Aux venturi  4.5

Main jet 145

air corrector 155

emmulsion tubes f16

Idle jet 55 f6

needle valve 200

pump jet  45

pump spill 40

Most of those came standard with the carbs out of the box, although a couple
of items were changed during the rolling road set up, the idle jet for one.
Setting up on a rolling road is essential but once they are properly set up,
you forget them.
If they are spitting they are not correctly set. (They might spit a bit on
start up when cold)

You will also need to  budget for body work modifications. You have to cut
away the diagonal side brace, contrary to popular myth you do not need to cut
out a piece of the shroud to change jets etc, although it does improve access
to the stacks and whatever filters you put on.

You will have to decide on a set of intake manifolds. You can get them from
the usual suspects. Obviously Welch ones are popular and claim to be virtually
identical to the ones used on the last works rally cars, although slightly
shorter so they don't need to have support towers. AH Spares might be worth a
look as they have been developing their performance parts in conjunction with
Anders Schildt. Or rather its Anders Schildt who has been developing them. The
longer intake manifolds on the works cars were probably the reason for the
shroud cut out, but as mentioned, this is not necessary with most of the
modern versions.

If you are determined to blow all your christmas money you should consider
switching to a cable throttle which is a big improvement. Beware though its a
slippery slope!!!  next come the forged pistons, aluminium head, aluminium
back plate, roller rockers, lightweight fly wheel and alumium pulleyetc..

Actually the DWR deep V pulley is a nice upgrade and not that costly.

Good luck

Derek

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/derek.c.job@gmail.com