Re: [Healeys] Fog-Driving Light Wiring

To: "'Healey List Healey List'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fog-Driving Light Wiring
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 18:18:28 -0500
I guess there must be a good reason for such a law, but it makes no sense to
me.  "Spots" may be a different description of lights from what is typically
used as driving lights on Healeys, I don't know.
When I am driving on a dark, lonely road at night, I want the maximum amount
of light ahead of me as I can get.  Too many people are hitting deer, bears,
and possums that appear out of nowhere.  Therefore, I want the driving
lights to be on with the high beams.  If a car appears around the next bend
and I hit the dimmer switch, the headlights go to low beams and the driving
lights go out.  The main problem I have noted with this arrangement is that
there is so much traffic now at all hours that I can't really keep the high
beams on for more than a few seconds, so high beams have become useless.

I've noticed that I'm blinded anyway by those monster pickup trucks on low
beams that have 4 square feet of headlight surface, plus running lights in
the bumpers, just about in line with my eyeballs when I'm in the Healey.

I wired my driving lights with a switch with a manual position for daytime
use and an auto position to operate with the low beams.  OFF is in the
center of the switch.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry