Re: [Healeys] Grant Clark racing Healey 3000 at Mosport in 1961

To: "'Wilko2'" <e-wilkins@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Grant Clark racing Healey 3000 at Mosport in 1961
From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <p_cquinn@tpg.com.au>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 08:37:35 +1100
Cc: 'Austin Healey' <healeys@autox.team.net>
G'day

I remember the RM Auctions ad very well as it contained a glaring error.

It mentions that the car was originally registered as 57 FAC which it was
not. This really through me off the scent on a major article I was writing
at the time for US publication Vintage Racecar Magazine.

57 FAC was one of three cars prepared for the 1963 Sebring 12 Hour and is a
right hand drive BJ7. The car in question is a 1959 Mk1 BN7 and is left hand
drive. After Sebring in '63 57 FAC went to Austin Canada and was also driven
by Grant. In press ads of the time BMC Canada promoted his victories in 57
FAC, but use photos of the earlier car. Now that was particularly confusing
for the automotive historian. 57 FAC has been in Australia for some years.

I managed to drive 57 FAC in anger at the Phillip Island circuit a few years
back and it was a blast, but I should say that the highlight was being
overtaken under brakes by a Maserati 250F.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Blue Mountains, Australia