Re: [Healeys] stuck in overdrive

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] stuck in overdrive
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 22:07:04 -0400
Yes, Chris, with the overdrive stuck on, it's impossible to push the car
backward.  But it's not impossible to try.  I typically park my car in the
garage with the nose toward the back wall, and when I want to take it out of
the garage I push it backward until it's outside.  I was describing my
effort to push the car backward ("rocking" it back and forth, actually,
thinking that it was the brakes that were stuck) when the overdrive suddenly
released itself.  Why it did, I don't know, but it did.  It's a lot better
and cheaper to learn the overdrive is stuck on while trying to push the car
backward, rather than to find out using engine power.

I don't see the springs getting "stuck" in the compressed position.  The
springs are compressed when the overdrive casing nuts are tightened (they
are not compressed very much, either).  The springs keep a constant pressure
toward the rear on the sliding clutch to keep the inner clutch lining
engaged with the annulus for direct drive.  Oil pressure pushes the two
operating pistons forward to overcome the spring pressure to engage the
sliding clutch outer lining with the O/D brake ring, thereby engaging
overdrive.  The sliding clutch could stick to the brake ring, I suppose, to
keep overdrive engaged, and if that is the problem then rapping on the brake
ring might disengage overdrive.  More likely, I think, is that the oil
return passages could get blocked and maintain oil pressure on the operating
pistons to keep overdrive engaged.  In that case, rapping probably would not
work.  All it took to fix my sticking problem was to go back to the oil I
was using previously.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry