Re: [Healeys] stator tube

To: I Erbs <eyera3000@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] stator tube
From: Curtis Arndt <cnaarndt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 09:21:50 -0700
Cc: Ahealey help <healeys@autox.team.net>
Ira,

First of all does your car have adjustable or a non-adjustable steering
column?

For a non-adjustable unit only, here's what I recommend...

I prefer to install the stator tube first and then attach the control
head.  The reason being is that I've seen too many control heads that have
been broken (The fragile outer Bakelite piece) when they are attached to
the LONG stator tube outside of the car and they either get bumped or the
fall over and hit the ground, and break.

There are of course several ways to do this...

Thread the wiring harness through the tube out of the car, but without the
control head unit attached.  Once the stator tube is in the car you can
then, with the wires about 12 inches clear of the steering wheel, attach
them to the terminals on the rear of the unit, and then attach the unit to
the long stator tube with the 3 slotted BA screws.

OR

With the wires already attached to the unit, feed them down the already
installed long stator tube and then attach the unit to the tube as
described above.

For adjustable units, the process is very simple since the long stator tube
portion is already in the steering column and the short stator tube and
canceling mechanism is attached to the unit with the wiring harness already
attached.  You just have to snake the wires down the steering column and
then slide the short stator tube and assembly in place lining it up with
the "key way" on the stator tubes.

Cheers,

Curt