Re: [Healeys] Tool Kit Tommy Bar

To: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Tool Kit Tommy Bar
From: Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 15:50:46 -0500
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Michael--

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you on the tommy bar.

The bar in my kit is almost certainly original as my 100 came with a full
set of tools and the original pouches which were in very rough shape.

The bar measures 12" long with rounded ends and is just under 3/8" diameter
for its entire length except or a section approx. 1/2" long in the middle
which is slightly flattened so that the small diameter is about 1/32" less
and the large diameter is approximately 1/32" more.  In section this
portion of the bar would have a slight oval shape.

On the both narrower sides of the oval there is an elliptical depression
cut into the bar.  The depression measures 5/8" long and is about 1/8" wide
and tapers to points at the ends.  It is about 1/16" deep at its greatest
depth and is sort of like the cut that would be made for a woodruff key
except that the ends of the cuts are not square but are pointed as
described above.

I assume that the purpose of the slightly ovalled center section is to form
a detent or stop when the bar is inserted in the back handle, but there are
no spring-loaded balls or anything in the handle to hold it in place.
Maybe at one time there were some very small inserts in the bar itself that
would have performed that job but there is nothing in mine--just the
depressions.  I will try to take a picture of the center of the bar and
send it to you via email offlist.

Hope this helps.

Best--Michael Oritt