Re: [Healeys] Hyphened badge

To: michael.oritt@gmail.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Hyphened badge
From: warthodson@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 10:19:20 -0500

------=_Part_24463_884485112.1422890360646

Michael,
I think it is an interesting question.

You ask for thoughts, so here is one purely speculative possibility. The
factory decided to change badge vendors for some reason. Perhaps lower cost,
better quality, friend of the CEO, etc. The new vendor screwed up (did not
notice the hyphen on the sample badge they were copying). The factory also did
not notice the change or by the time the new supply of badges arrived they did
not have time to wait for the new vendor to make another batch or no one at the
factory really cared one way or the other about the hyphen, so just ignored the
change.

I have an original MkII badge with hyphen & an original MkIII badge from a 1964
Phase 1 BJ8 without hyphen. Neither of these badges have any markings on the
underside that would give a clue as to who the manufacturer was. Also, they
both seem to have almost identical construction which would lead me to believe
that they came from the same manufacturer. So, that would not seem to support
my theory.
Gary Hodson

From: Michael Oritt michael.oritt@gmail.com

I think we have established that there was probably no consistent change point
from hyphenated to non-hyphenated which seems to support the idea that after
the decision to change was made the stock of hyphenated badges was nevertheless
used until exhausted.

However my original question was not "when" but rather "why" the switch was
made.  There must have been a reason for making an affirmative decision to do
something and I am genuinely surprised that the reason has never been made
known,

Any thoughts here?

Best--Michael Oritt

------=_Part_24463_884485112.1422890360646

The factory decided to change badge vendors for some reason. Perhaps lower
cost, better quality, friend of the CEO, etc. The new vendor screwed up (did
not notice the hyphen on the sample badge they were copying). The factory also
did not notice the change or by the time the&nbsp;new supply of
badges&nbsp;arrived they did not have time to wait for the new vendor to make
another batch or no one at the factory really cared one way or the other
about&nbsp;the&nbsp;hyphen, so just ignored the change. &nbsp;</div>

badge from a 1964 Phase 1 BJ8 without hyphen.&nbsp;Neither of these badges have
any markings on the underside that would give a clue as to&nbsp;who the
manufacturer was. Also, they both seem to have almost
identical&nbsp;construction&nbsp;which would lead me to believe that they came
from the same manufacturer.&nbsp;So, that would not seem to support my
theory.</div>

Michael Oritt <a
href="mailto:michael.oritt@gmail.com";>michael.oritt@gmail.com</a><br>

I think we have established that there was probably no consistent change point
from hyphenated to non-hyphenated which seems to support the idea that after
the decision to change was made the stock of hyphenated badges was nevertheless
used until exhausted.

&nbsp;&nbsp;

However my original question was not "when" but rather "why" the switch was
made.&nbsp; There must have been a reason for making an affirmative decision to
do something and I am genuinely surprised that the reason has never been made
known,

&nbsp;&nbsp;

Any thoughts here?

Best--Michael Oritt

1ex; border-left-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); border-left-width: 1px;
border-left-style: solid;">
font-family: "Calibri","sans-serif"; font-size: 11pt;'>&nbsp;</span><tt>
</tt></div>

 <!-- end of AOLMsgPart_2_7da94df2-8c71-4661-bcfa-8db086b993db -->
------=_Part_24463_884485112.1422890360646--