Re: [Healeys] Missing under Load

To: "R. Price Lindsay" <050.rpl@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Missing under Load
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 09:36:26 +0800
Cc: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>

--001a11c22de0600d53051793166c

Yeah, usually missing under load is almost always specifically related to
fuel delivery.  And yes cheap gas can ruin fuel pumps, I had one gas
station where if I filled up, it would destroy the fuel pump on my old '66
Bronco.  Literally every single time, went through three fuel pumps before
I stopped buying the cheap gas, and then I was fine.

So I'd look at the fuel pump, also check the tank and make sure nothing is
blocking the pickup.  The black crud could be from a disintegrating
diaphragm.  You can see  the pickup if your remove the fuel sender.  Beware
of fumes, don't use a lighter to illuminate!

Alan

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 8:55 AM, R. Price Lindsay <050.rpl@gmail.com> wrote:

> Until recently my BJ8 has run like a champ.  I now have a slight
> hesitation/miss on acceleration in all gears and when standing still.  I
> have cleaned the carbs (some black silt was in the bowls) and re-tuned th=
> engine a couple of times as well as changed the plug wires and cap last
> night.  The engine ran like a top when I went to bed.
>
> Not being one to leave good enough alone I decided to check and see if it
> was the distributor cap or the plugs that were the problem (I thought it
> had to be one of the two).  So this morning I put the old wires into the
> new cap, started it up and it ran rough.  I then tried the new wires in t=
he
> old cap, started it up and it ran rough.  So I returned everything to how
> it was last night and now it runs rough with everything the same as last
> night.  Goblins must have gotten in there over the night, I guess.
>
> Anyway, I=E2=80=99ve read the archives and tried most of the suggestions.=
  Today I
> removed the fuel filter, no difference although there was a bit of the
> black silt in the filter and the fuel looked cloudy (never had this befor=
e,
> it=E2=80=99s always been clear - byw, silt was in the carb bowls as well)=
.  I
> looked at the distributer and plug wires in the dark, and there was some
> light at the location of plug No. 6.  When I put my finger behind the lef=
> exhaust pipe I got only very hot air.  When I placed my finger behind the
> right exhaust pipe I got a fluttering sound.  I=E2=80=99ve put in 2 new r=
otors, no
> change.
>
> 1. The coil is probably 15 years (10,000 miles) old.  I would test it but
> I don=E2=80=99t really know how.  Any suggestions on how to test the coil=
???

> 2. I don=E2=80=99t want to jump to any conclusions, BUT, the miss started=
 maybe 50
> miles after filling up at a discount gas station (there was little
> choice).  Could the gas I put in be the culprit causing issues somewhere
> down line from the tank, i.e. clogging the fuel pumps (do they have
> internal filters - I don=E2=80=99t know)???  I=E2=80=99ve read about the =
lining of tanks
> dissolving and causing issues.  *If* the fuel I put in was high in
> ethanol, for example, could it dissolve the tank lining?  Is the residue
> from a dissolving tank lining a fine silt like product or something else?
>
> I really appreciate any light you can throw on this and empathize with
> those that have preceded me with this kind of problem.  It is totally
> frustrating!!
>

> Price Lindsay
> 67 BJ8

--001a11c22de0600d53051793166c

ally related to fuel delivery.=C2=A0 And yes cheap gas can ruin fuel pumps,=
 I had one gas station where if I filled up, it would destroy the fuel pump=
 on my old &#39;66 Bronco.=C2=A0 Literally every single time, went through =
three fuel pumps before I stopped buying the cheap gas, and then I was fine=
and make sure nothing is blocking the pickup.=C2=A0 The black crud could be=
 from a disintegrating diaphragm.=C2=A0 You can see =C2=A0the pickup if you=
r remove the fuel sender.=C2=A0 Beware of fumes, don&#39;t use a lighter to=
dsay <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:050.rpl@gmail.com"; target=3D"_=
l_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left=
:1ex"><div style=3D"word-wrap:break-word">Until recently my BJ8 has run lik=
e a champ.=C2=A0 I now have a slight hesitation/miss on acceleration in all=
 gears and when standing still.=C2=A0 I have cleaned the carbs (some black =
silt was in the bowls) and re-tuned the engine a couple of times as well as=
 changed the plug wires and cap last night.=C2=A0 The engine ran like a top=
enough alone I decided to check and see if it was the distributor cap or th=
e plugs that were the problem (I thought it had to be one of the two).=C2=
=A0 So this morning I put the old wires into the new cap, started it up and=
 it ran rough.=C2=A0 I then tried the new wires in the old cap, started it =
up and it ran rough.=C2=A0 So I returned everything to how it was last nigh=
t and now it runs rough with everything the same as last night.=C2=A0 Gobli=
yway, I=E2=80=99ve read the archives and tried most of the suggestions.=C2=
=A0 Today I removed the fuel filter, no difference although there was a bit=
 of the black silt in the filter and the fuel looked cloudy (never had this=
 before, it=E2=80=99s always been clear - byw, silt was in the carb bowls a=
s well).=C2=A0 I looked at the distributer and plug wires in the dark, and =
there was some light at the location of plug No. 6.=C2=A0 When I put my fin=
ger behind the left exhaust pipe I got only very hot air.=C2=A0 When I plac=
ed my finger behind the right exhaust pipe I got a fluttering sound.=C2=A0 =
iv><div>1. The coil is probably 15 years (10,000 miles) old.=C2=A0 I would =
test it but I don=E2=80=99t really know how.=C2=A0 Any suggestions on how t=
to jump to any conclusions, BUT, the miss started maybe 50 miles after fill=
ing up at a discount gas station (there was little choice).=C2=A0 Could the=
 gas I put in be the culprit causing issues somewhere down line from the ta=
nk, i.e. clogging the fuel pumps (do they have internal filters - I don=E2=
=80=99t know)???=C2=A0 I=E2=80=99ve read about the lining of tanks dissolvi=
 ethanol, for example, could it dissolve the tank lining?=C2=A0 Is the resi=