Re: [Healeys] Missing under Load

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Missing under Load
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 22:08:38 -0700
References: <16C3C5D7-6384-4B9F-86A4-747154CEBA5F@gmail.com> <CAFBXTkLNOP7o4wYG7nWy0j-Wgm-noWmJLB=jrtMSK-j-gB0eyw@mail.gmail.com> s=q20140121; t=1433394515; bh=oYZh8vBbRxRajI7odos6uk+N/i2UaH7OTOdIOD/DuJE=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:MIME-Version:To:Subject: Content-Type; b=u7Vuram72s6FI/Q7QFP2voyTGIeeAONDbtpZvhn5N8EpY3T81nlFD/RX4LUHGeIbR 5rI8bnGlP2+l10j99qmKJTDKiG9QdQDZXamYe37YwQ71er28MGivJ6y/G5pTGWcf4Z ZIpn7uWBX+HuiSTqN8UlFHQYeDH3qEIyPNPKZstFDluCPLSsjzTfghVexv/gPDBboy nxjIxeueCf5YWG28ESRQRXwayIToSAhjjYyYG+Sc0doPrZuIi1BVaB+Y6Mdkvkoel/ T99kfyJ9tEo/pEO1lK5HpjkRB51YnJzh1WghcgBuEo5TMX08lFJrKhjkYaszJzuOpN rcpZeaXZTL6bQ==
--===============6314592513601448740==
 boundary="------------080201060600060405050008"

--------------080201060600060405050008

Agree across-the-board.   Had same problem with suppressor wires;
installed copper stranded wires and no problem in 60K miles or so.

re: "Strongly suggested I install points instead of the Petronics."
Why?  Does he recommend blood-letting and trepanning for headaches?  I
know Jeff is an acknowledged expert, but disagree with the points
recommendation.  Name a modern manufacturer--they of the 100K mile
tuneups--that recommends points?  Have (probably) 80K miles on
Pertronix--with OEM Lucas cap and stranded wires--with no ignition
issues (save the occasional well-known bad rotor).  If you like changing
points every 5K miles, fine, but it's not the solution to every ignition
problem.

You need: OEM Lucas distributor cap (if you can find one), stranded
copper wire secondary wires, OEM Lucas suppressor plug caps, good plugs,
and a quality rotor.

Bob

On 6/3/2015 6:33 PM, Alan Seigrist wrote:
> If you are running suppressed modern wires into your standard Lucas
> cap, you can have huge problems, as the graphite type materials they
> use in these don't like connecting to the screw connector in the Lucas
> cap .  You need to use metal core wires, such as bumble bee wire.
>
> Also did you check distributor shaft wobble?  If your dizzy bushes are
> worn, and you have excessive wobble, you could also be having similar
> problems.
>
> Lastly, check internal wires/insulating washers in the dizzy make sure
> it is all kosher.
>
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 9:24 AM, R. Price Lindsay <050.rpl@gmail.com
>
>     Took the BJ8 out today.  Changed the plug wire to #6 (there was a
>     visible spark last night).  The car struggled big time  Had to
>     change rotors every 3 miles in order to get the car home.  Driving
>     along and all of a sudden backfire, black smoke, nothing.  Changed
>     the rotor (it was noticeably hot) and got another 2 or 3 miles out
>     of it.  Looked tonight in the dark and the visible spark from
>     number 6 plug was not there.  Talked to Jeff with Advanced
>     Distributors and he suggested it was plug wires.  Strongly
>     suggested I install points instead of the Petronics.  At his
>     suggestion, I checked the ohm reading on the plug wires and they
>     checked out OK.  Still wondering if it could be bad gas, I did add
>     a product called ?Heat.?  Supposed to absorb any water that may be
>     in the gas tank.  Not much help, so far.
>
>     I?m waiting for the plug wires and distributor cap from Moss
>     Motors to show up to install them.  Hope that helps but not really
>     convinced it?s the solution.
>
>     Do you guys have any words of wisdom for me?
>
>     Price Lindsay
>     67 BJ8

--------------080201060600060405050008

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    Agree across-the-board.   Had same problem with suppressor wires;
    installed copper stranded wires and no problem in 60K miles or so.<br>
    re: "Strongly suggested I install points instead of the
    Petronics."   Why?  Does he recommend blood-letting and trepanning
    for headaches?  I know Jeff is an acknowledged expert, but disagree
    with the points recommendation.  Name a modern manufacturer--they of
    the 100K mile tuneups--that recommends points?  Have (probably) 80K
    miles on Pertronix--with OEM Lucas cap and stranded wires--with no
    ignition issues (save the occasional well-known bad rotor).  If you
    like changing points every 5K miles, fine, but it's not the solution
    to every ignition problem.<br>
    You need: OEM Lucas distributor cap (if you can find one), stranded
    copper wire secondary wires, OEM Lucas suppressor plug caps, good
    plugs, and a quality rotor.<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAFBXTkLNOP7o4wYG7nWy0j-Wgm-noWmJLB=jrtMSK-j-gB0eyw@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
        your standard Lucas cap, you can have huge problems, as the
        graphite type materials they use in these don't like connecting
        to the screw connector in the Lucas cap .  You need to use metal
        core wires, such as bumble bee wire.
          bushes are worn, and you have excessive wobble, you could also
          be having similar problems.</div>
          dizzy make sure it is all kosher.</div>
          Price Lindsay <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:050.rpl@gmail.com";
target="_blank">050.rpl@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span>
          wrote:<br>
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Took the
            BJ8 out today.  Changed the plug wire to #6 (there was a
            visible spark last night).  The car struggled big time  Had
            to change rotors every 3 miles in order to get the car
            home.  Driving along and all of a sudden backfire, black
            smoke, nothing.  Changed the rotor (it was noticeably hot)
            and got another 2 or 3 miles out of it.  Looked tonight in
            the dark and the visible spark from number 6 plug was not
            there.  Talked to Jeff with Advanced Distributors and he
            suggested it was plug wires.  Strongly suggested I install
            points instead of the Petronics.  At his suggestion, I
            checked the ohm reading on the plug wires and they checked
            out OK.  Still wondering if it could be bad gas, I did add a
            product called ?Heat.?  Supposed to absorb any water that
            may be in the gas tank.  Not much help, so far.<br>
            I?m waiting for the plug wires and distributor cap from Moss
            Motors to show up to install them.  Hope that helps but not
            really convinced it?s the solution.<br>
            Do you guys have any words of wisdom for me?<br>
            Price Lindsay<br>
            67 BJ8<br>

--------------080201060600060405050008--