Re: [Healeys] On the topic of oils

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] On the topic of oils
From: John Vrugtman <javrugtman@htcnet.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 18:22:47 -0400
--===============5464830737319866326==
 boundary="------------040608050508080103000201"

--------------040608050508080103000201

And better than the funnies!

On 6/12/2015 6:07 PM, Bob Spidell wrote:
> It's not like these recurring conversations are cluttering up the
> List.  It's been pretty moribund lately.
>
> Bob

> I'm feeling charitable in that maybe these issues resurface due to new
> members of the list, a lack of understanding of how to use the the
> archives or the archives are down. Like I said charitable. There other
> most likely more obvious reasons, but for today,I'll go with those.
> Cheers
>
> Ira Erbs
> Portland, OR
>    _______ _______
>      (______ \____1959 BN4____/ _______)
>          (_________________________)
>
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 3:29 PM, Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl
>
>     Hear, hear!!
>
>     Kees Oudesluijs
>

>     11-6-2015 om 23:57:
>
>         I'm wondering if the 17-year-locusts and the topic of What
>         oil?, subtopic weight, subtopic synthetic, subtopic ZDDP, both
>         seem to crawl out of the ground at about the same regularity.
>         The topics come up, they are beat to death with the same old
>         myths and old-wives tales, and eventually they go back to
>         ground, only to arise again several years later.
>
>         So,
>         Here is the beginning, middle, and end of the gospel.
>
>         ZDDP as an additive is only important when an newly rebuild
>         engine is being broken in.
>
>         Synthetic oil is an unnecessary expense.
>
>         Oil in old cars should be changed once every year.
>
>         Oil in old cars should be in the 20W50 range.
>
>         That's all you need to know.
>
>         Oh, Pat Quinn is probably right regarding 30 weight
>         non-detergent oil in Healey transmissions because of their
>         slightly weird design using a magnet and a coarse screen in
>         the bottom of the drain.
>
>         And none of the above applies to cars being raced with rpm
>         routinely over 4000. You and your mechanics have figured out
>         answers that suit you, and if your mechanic is older than you
>         are, trust him.
>
>         Any other answer is either being promoted by a manufacturer
>         selling a blend of snake oil, profiteering, and engine oil or
>         someone who believes everything they find on the internet
>         regardless of source or age.
>
>         That's it; end of story. Don't make me pull out the hundreds
>         of references supporting this gospel because I won't.
>
>         /Gary Anderson/
>         /Editor at Large, Austin-Healey Magazine/
>         /
>         /

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/javrugtman@htcnet.org

--------------040608050508080103000201

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    And better than the funnies!<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:1730454949.22403868.1434146843114.JavaMail.zimbra@comcast.net"
      type="cite">
          up the List.  It's been pretty moribund lately.<br>
        <hr id="zwchr">
style="color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"><br>
              feeling charitable in that maybe these issues resurface
              due to new members of the list, a lack of understanding of
              how to use the the archives or the archives are down. Like
              I said charitable. There other most likely more obvious
              reasons, but for today,I'll go with those.</div>
                        Portland, OR<br>
                           _______
                        _______<br>
                             (______ \____1959 BN4____/ _______)<br>
                                 (_________________________)<br>
              Oudesluys <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
                  href="mailto:coudesluijs@chello.nl";
target="_blank">coudesluijs@chello.nl</a>&gt;</span>
              wrote:<br>
                .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
                    Kees Oudesluijs<br>
                    <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                      href="mailto:editorgary@aol.com";
target="_blank">editorgary@aol.com</a>
                    schreef op 11-6-2015 om 23:57:<br>
                    the topic of What oil?, subtopic weight, subtopic
                    synthetic, subtopic ZDDP, both seem to crawl out of
                    the ground at about the same regularity. The topics
                    come up, they are beat to death with the same old
                    myths and old-wives tales, and eventually they go
                    back to ground, only to arise again several years
                    later.
                      gospel.</div>
                      newly rebuild engine is being broken in.</div>
                      year.</div>
                      weight non-detergent oil in Healey transmissions
                      because of their slightly weird design using a
                      magnet and a coarse screen in the bottom of the
                      drain.</div>
                      raced with rpm routinely over 4000. You and your
                      mechanics have figured out answers that suit you,
                      and if your mechanic is older than you are, trust
                      him.</div>
                      manufacturer selling a blend of snake oil,
                      profiteering, and engine oil or someone who
                      believes everything they find on the internet
                      regardless of source or age.</div>
                      the hundreds of references supporting this gospel
                      because I won't.<br>
                        </i></div>
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"