Re: [Healeys] California Legacy License Plate program

To: Rohan Marr <rohanmarr@mac.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] California Legacy License Plate program
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 09:32:53 +0800
Cc: Austin Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>

--001a113d5ed0ae532b051989f3eb

I think it's fine, they made so many of us give up our black and blue
plates, only a handful of very stubborn enthusiasts have been able to keep
their original plates, I had to give them up on my BJ8 when my local DMV
refused to renew them in the 80's.  So now I can go get them again for a
small fee.  CA needs the money, so this is a good way for them to raise
money without raising taxes.

On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 7:41 AM, Rohan Marr <rohanmarr@mac.com> wrote:

> Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I found this today and
> as an owner of an original =E2=80=9Cblack plated=E2=80=9D California car.=
 I have mixed
> feelings on this one. Firstly it is worth reading up on the announcement
> and links:
>
> Classic California License Plates to Hit Streets this Summer:
> https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/newsrel/newsrel15/2015_41
> CA DMV: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/legacyplates/index
>
> So why the mixed feelings, well original black plates had some value and
> meaning - the car was an original California car. Unfortunately my plates
> have really deteriorated, and after a few steep driveways (you know how l=
ow
> our cars are) I have bent them in half one by one until they broke in hal=
f.
> I only ever had one plate on the rear and swapped it =E2=80=A6 the curren=
t one is
> hanging on by a thread. So I was looking to see if someone would reproduc=
> them and I remember a link to someone who =E2=80=9Cunofficially=E2=80=9D =
remade them
> published on this list a few years ago. These new ones will reportedly us=
> the same dye press tooling as the originals out of Folsom Prison (not sur=
> where I read that), but unlike the original these will have a modern
> reflective coating and more importantly be available for use on any
> vehicle, both old and new, or car, truck or motorcycles. I know how I fee=
> about a Prius with black plates!
>
> So what I really want to do is replace my plates with the same number etc
> with an original look, or do I want to give up on that and bite the bulle=
> for a vanity plate with the new black?
>
> What does everyone think of this?
>
> Rohan (aka Aussie)
> =E2=80=9956 Longbridge BN4 =E2=80=9CHellouise"

--001a113d5ed0ae532b051989f3eb

 black and blue plates, only a handful of very stubborn enthusiasts have be=
en able to keep their original plates, I had to give them up on my BJ8 when=
 my local DMV refused to renew them in the 80&#39;s.=C2=A0 So now I can go =
get them again for a small fee.=C2=A0 CA needs the money, so this is a good=
 way for them to raise money without raising taxes.=C2=A0<div class=3D"gmai=
l_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 7:41 AM, Ro=
han Marr <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rohanmarr@mac.com"; target=
"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding=
-left:1ex"><div style=3D"word-wrap:break-word">Apologies if this has alread=
y been discussed, but I found this today and as an owner of an original =E2=
=80=9Cblack plated=E2=80=9D California car. I have mixed feelings on this o=
ne. Firstly it is worth reading up on the announcement and links:<div><br><=
/div><div>Classic California License Plates to Hit Streets this Summer:=C2=
=A0<a href=3D"https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/newsrel/newsrel=
15/2015_41" target=3D"_blank">https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs=
w.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/legacyplates/index" target=3D"_blank">https:=
iv><div>So why the mixed feelings, well original black plates had some valu=
e and meaning - the car was an original California car. Unfortunately my pl=
ates have really deteriorated, and after a few steep driveways (you know ho=
w low our cars are) I have bent them in half one by one until they broke in=
 half. I only ever had one plate on the rear and swapped it =E2=80=A6 the c=
urrent one is hanging on by a thread. So I was looking to see if someone wo=
uld reproduce them and I remember a link to someone who =E2=80=9Cunofficial=
ly=E2=80=9D remade them published on this list a few years ago. These new o=
nes will reportedly use the same dye press tooling as the originals out of =
Folsom Prison (not sure where I read that), but unlike the original these w=
ill have a modern reflective coating and more importantly be available for =
use on any vehicle, both old and new, or car, truck or motorcycles. I know =
t I really want to do is replace my plates with the same number etc with an=
 original look, or do I want to give up on that and bite the bullet for a v=
style=3D"margin:0px"><font face=3D"Helvetica">=E2=80=9956 Longbridge BN4</f=

--001a113d5ed0ae532b051989f3eb--