Re: [Healeys] Steering Wheel Question

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering Wheel Question
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2015 08:23:21 +0200
--===============5916724332440529543==
 boundary="------------030600090706090802020000"

--------------030600090706090802020000

Something probably happened with the front suspension. Perhaps hitting a
curb or a little wear causing some play in one of the pivot points like
the king pins/ball joints in the steering system, loose bolt in the
suspension/steering, setting of the tyres, play in the eel bearings,
difference in/wrong tyre pressure.
Kees Oudesluijs

Team.net schreef op 6-8-2015 om 16:40:

> I have a BT7 with a curious steering wheel (?) issue.
>
> When restoring the car, I discovered the steering column had been
> slightly bent.
>
> The column has been straightened. Otherwise, the internals in the box
> are the same (i.e., bushings, peg, etc.).  The column appears to be ok
> now including the splines that secure the steering wheel.
>
> The idler has been rebuilt as has the suspension and all components of
> the cross rod steering system.
>
> The car has been aligned.
>
> I set the steering wheel so that one of the spokes was vertical when
> the wheels are straight ahead. Worked fine for a while.
>
> But recently, the steering wheel has rotated counterclockwise about 45
> degrees with the wheels straight ahead.
>
> This is the second time this has happened.
>
> There was very little rotational play in the steering wheel (an inch
> or 2) prior to the mysterious 45 degree rotation; this amount of
> rotation has not changed.
>
> Any and all ideas are appreciated.
>
> Larry Swift

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl
>

> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Versie: 2015.0.6125 / Virusdatabase: 4392/10392 - datum van uitgifte:
> 08/07/15

--------------030600090706090802020000

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      front suspension. Perhaps hitting a curb or a little wear causing
      some play in one of the pivot points like the king pins/ball
      joints in the steering system, loose bolt in the
      suspension/steering, setting of the tyres, play in the eel
      bearings, difference in/wrong tyre pressure.<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      Team.net schreef op 6-8-2015 om 16:40:<br>
      type="cite">
        charset=us-ascii">
        medium)">
          (?) issue.</p>
          steering column had been slightly bent.</p>
          Otherwise, the internals in the box are the same (i.e.,
          bushings, peg, etc.).  The column appears to be ok now
          including the splines that secure the steering wheel.</p>
          suspension and all components of the cross rod steering
          system.</p>
          spokes was vertical when the wheels are straight ahead.
          Worked fine for a while.</p>
          rotated counterclockwise about 45 degrees with the wheels
          straight ahead.</p>
          the steering wheel (an inch or 2) prior to the mysterious 45
          degree rotation; this amount of rotation has not changed.</p>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
        charset=us-ascii">
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com";>www.avg.com</a><br>
        Versie: 2015.0.6125 / Virusdatabase: 4392/10392 - datum van
        uitgifte: 08/07/15</p>

--------------030600090706090802020000--