Re: [Healeys] Steering Wheel Question

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering Wheel Question
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2015 22:58:44 +0200
--===============4404687503456844141==
 boundary="------------090609000503090608010306"

--------------090609000503090608010306

In my view the only way to set the steering wheel in the centre position
is to count/measure the number of revolutions of the steering wheel
turning from full right to full left and turn the steering wheel exactly
half these revolutions back to the right and fix the steering wheel in
that position. In this position the two front wheels should be aligned
and the steering wheel set in its proper position on the splines, either
the centre spoke pointing up or down according preference.
Modern wheel aligning equipment will sort it in a different way but the
principle will remain.
Kees Oudesluijs

warthodson@aol.com schreef op 9-8-2015 om 20:31:
> A few thoughts on the subject:
> I do not believe that it is possible to determine when the two front
> wheels are pointing straight ahead by sight. First, set the toe in.
> Drive the car to make sure the suspension has "set in". On a long
> straight level driveway, roll the car backwards as far as possible &
> then forward as far as possible. Do not hold onto the steering wheel.
> The front suspension caster will self-center the wheels equally. If
> the car does not roll straight I.E. If it pulls to the left or right
> every time you roll it forward something is wrong. The possibilities
> are many. Lets assume it rolls straight.
> Now look at the steering wheel orientation. If the center spoke is not
> vertical the only adjustment is to reposition it on the steering
> column splines. This is not a very fine adjustment.
> Some people thing that the wheels are straight ahead when the steering
> column is centered on the "tight spot". That is only true at one
> specific toe in setting which might not be the toe in you have or
> want. You can reposition the steering wheel by changing the toe in but
> that is of course not the purpose of toe in & not the correct way to
> set the steering wheel.
> This all assumes the suspension/steering are in good condition.
> For example, if the rear axle is loose it will affect the front
> steering including the steering wheel orientation.
> Gary Hodson

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl
>

> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Versie: 2015.0.6125 / Virusdatabase: 4392/10407 - datum van uitgifte:
> 08/09/15

--------------090609000503090608010306

  <head>
  </head>
      steering wheel in the centre position is to count/measure the
      number of revolutions of the steering wheel turning from full
      right to full left and turn the steering wheel exactly half these
      revolutions back to the right and fix the steering wheel in that
      position. In this position the two front wheels should be aligned
      and the steering wheel set in its proper position on the splines,
      either the centre spoke pointing up or down according preference.<br>
      Modern wheel aligning equipment will sort it in a different way
      but the principle will remain.<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:warthodson@aol.com";>warthodson@aol.com</a> schreef op 9-8-2015 om
20:31:<br>
      cite="mid:14f13baebbd-2a37-450c8@webprd-a63.mail.aol.com"
      type="cite">
        the two front wheels are pointing straight ahead by sight.
        First, set the toe in. Drive the car to make sure the suspension
        has "set in". On a long straight level driveway, roll the car
        backwards as far as possible &amp; then forward as far
        as possible. Do not hold onto the steering wheel. The front
        suspension caster will self-center the wheels equally. If the
        car does not roll straight I.E. If it pulls to the left or right
        every time you roll it forward something is wrong. The
        possibilities are many. Lets assume it rolls straight. </div>
        spoke is not vertical the only adjustment is to reposition it on
        the steering column splines. This is not a very fine
adjustment.</div>
        steering column is centered on the "tight spot". That is only
        true at one specific toe in setting which might not be the toe
        in you have or want. You can reposition the steering wheel by
        changing the toe in but that is of course not the purpose of toe
        in &amp; not the correct way to set the steering wheel.    </div>
        condition. </div>
        front steering including the steering wheel orientation.</div>

          <pre><tt>
</tt></pre>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com";>www.avg.com</a><br>
        Versie: 2015.0.6125 / Virusdatabase: 4392/10407 - datum van
        uitgifte: 08/09/15</p>

--------------090609000503090608010306--