Re: [Healeys] Toe In

To: derek.c.job@gmail.com, roggrace@telus.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Toe In
From: llennep@verizon.net
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 08:46:03 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net
Derek,

I suppose your approach would work but I am quite skeptical of the uniformity
of the sidewalls.

I use a method been around forever.  You guys are probably familiar with it.
After getting on level ground and adjusting air pressures I place a strip of
tape across the treads of both tires at about same height.  I have a 6 or so
foot length of 1x2 with two long ( 8 inches) spikes through to serve as
pointers/measurers.  Tips should be roughly center of tread.

Roll the vehicle so that tapes are at axle level in front.  With a partner hold
the pointers to the tape and make slight hole in tape with each.  Take down and
roll car so tape is axle level in back.  Bring pointers up and gently put into
tape holes (long spikes allow you to avoid frame interference problem).  Note
difference in where pointers meet holes.  Of course, you want the rear position
of the holes wider than the front position.  Adjust crossbar to get whatever
amount of toe you desire, I like about 1/8.  Roll back and forth several times
to check distance.

Keith