Re: [Healeys] Coolant change

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>, "Oudesluys" <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Coolant change
From: "Roger Grace" <roggrace@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 19:49:50 -0800
Importance: Normal t=1446781791; bh=MBwL0IOroBCfSeQ63vx+rw5Hajt+rf9rtAoFgzNKR2s=; h=Message-ID:Reply-To:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date: MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=I++7X7lrFCencVdYUWQPtzv9RW4099DAzNQkNqcQcE3ObjQWdoErk0PO/erubFlet G8mbBseCJvMorDW+wK945C60mU5qEY7kvwMCativhZGkpEXd6mID+cFHk2LVezyYMh MsnELZ6oUIIWdvX2WuCgCNBAyStEEL1Juwq6fBjXBCZhnDN3CAMm2Fm4m0JUeCUBm1 bF+elPkxFo14YycZNKjBJPdyngWZMQqpOrV8Uc4PSG0iLQFu7gP1EyKfbWmAZx78TM MR/TV0SQaWhMUx5wZrkLSkh2wipGaq//yoSxm5EvXJk82FarZWrtPEFoRxeYmwFrSt u2ko97wzR720A==
Agree the normal interval for changing glycol coolant is 2-3 years.

In my opinion it is best to use the least amount of glycol/anti freeze that
you can get away with. This of course depends on where you live and if you
intend to leave your car out to the elements at 25 C below ! Reducing the
amount of antifreeze improves hear transfer (specific heat) but reduces
corrosion protection. So I use about a 15 % glycol mix for basic freeze
protection when the ol' lady is parked in the garage and add an anti
corrosion additive - such as No-Rosion that has a minimum of 5 year life
before needing to be changed. Best to use RO water with a new fill.

Note too that if you use the waterless coolants your engine WILL  run hotter
unless you increase the coolant flow rate (difficult for AH)  due to the
reduced heat transfer capability. Typically they have a specific heat of
0.66 (water =1) that is 2x worse than a 50:50 glycol mix. This will not be
obvious as the temp gauge will not show it, as it measures the coolant temp
and not the temp of the engine metal bits that will be hotter.  Main
advantage is that you never have to change coolant.

rg