Re: [Healeys] Splines and Wheels

To: "J. Armour" <sebring3000@bigpond.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Splines and Wheels
From: "Roger Grace" <roggrace@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 15:54:24 -0800
Importance: Normal t=1447113270; bh=g5xJR57o28qgyblzi44j+MQu+7vg6HqAMmSdf8R3NA4=; h=Message-ID:Reply-To:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date: MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=t5b54F2tzQADzBygdqLdDCHKl7eD0SIwR1uUm3y/sTt1XZncRcDuyMVpSaZmkgWVq +V1wO0FbPlL9aVXWjJQ9Y48ooKxryDbq24K5JLuByzDeuepD3shzVqgjuYvy/lBICJ xTy9wXXAVk+nYW4xgnJPdy7KKLtQbSsiJf23LQq7VlUv+tROHMC9KPk/BChzkRZpql OOzOzskQ4yvFVbrwhBA5VjDpE/sW1mq/IE/MjaSxhPpXK/G5x1BCCvEYHvQlMVEjdC AG8K+bBW/zHoS+1UfGA5WGTp+OcVpxOOJc9je7CskSm6gMUo5YDg//kozHtQJl4LXQ QQ+JHmzR8ChJg==

--===============0656069577310847997==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0454_01D11B06.E80D6240"

------=_NextPart_000_0454_01D11B06.E80D6240
        charset="utf-8"

All good points and noted.
I am now of the opinion that when the spline play appears to be reduced =
by tightening the knock on it is really just clamping it against the =
rear cone. This surely must be a good thing eliminating the play and =
providing some resistance before the splines come into play. So, =
notwithstanding what Dave said about grease I will keep the rear cones =
dry. There should be no movement so need for any lubrication. The =
splines only should be greased to to prevent sticking. See link to MWS =
site on this topic.
Also to assist tightening the knock nut, on will grease the outside cone =
lightly.=20
rg

http://www.mwsint.com/site/cms/contentCategoryView.asp?category=3D214