Re: [Healeys] Keeping rear shock bolts tight

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Keeping rear shock bolts tight
From: Austin Healey <pajtamuvek@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 16:49:20 +0100
Cc: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>

--089e01493b7078872c05288410f9

I put coarse sandpaper gasket under the shock to prevent uneven movement
and use 10.9 grade bolts+steel shims+locknuts (reuseable if possible.

Gergo

> I've had best results putting a grade 8 flatwasher under the (grade 8)
> bolt head (against the shock 'ear'), with a grade 8 splitwasher under the
> (grade 8) nut on the backside.  This is one location where threadlocker
> doesn't seem to work better than lockwashers.   And, torque the snot out of
> the bolts.  If the holes in the shocks are oblonged it gets even more
> problematic.
>
> Bob
>
> On 1/3/2016 4:39 PM, Richard Kahn wrote:
>

> The split washer damage the mounting surfaces. Try nulock washers. They
> stay tight. I have not had a problem in 3 years since I installed them on
> the rear shocks. There are two washer that kind of ratchet together but can
> still be removed when needed. They have a great video on their web sight.
> They are readily available at fastener shops.
> Rich Kahn
> ------------------------------
> From: healeybruce@roadrunner.com
> To: healeys@autox.team.net
> Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 16:08:52 -0800
> Subject: [Healeys] Keeping rear shock bolts tight
>
> Seeking ideas on how to keep the rear shock mount bolts tight.  They work
> loose every 1,500 to 2,000 miles, and tightening them is routine with my
> annual maintenance.  I currently have grade 8 bolts, nuts and split
> washers.  Grade 5 bolts, nuts, and split washers were no worse (or better)
> than the grade 8.  Tried Nord-Lock washers 2 years ago after someone posted
> about them on this list.  They loosened more quickly than split washers.
> Tried thread locker and nylocks as well, neither of which were better than
> split washers.
>

> Anyone have a method that actually keeps the hardware tight?
>

> Bruce Steele
>
> Brea, CA
>
> 1960 BN7

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/pajtamuvek@gmail.com

--089e01493b7078872c05288410f9

neven movement and use 10.9 grade bolts+steel shims+locknuts (reuseable if =
r><div class=3D"gmail_quote">2016-01-04 4:04 GMT+01:00 Bob Spidell <span di=
r=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@comcast.net"; target=3D"_blank">bsp=
e=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
    I&#39;ve had best results putting a grade 8 flatwasher under the (grade
    8) bolt head (against the shock &#39;ear&#39;), with a grade 8 splitwas=
her
    under the (grade 8) nut on the backside.=C2=A0 This is one location whe=
re
    threadlocker doesn&#39;t seem to work better than lockwashers. =C2=A0 A=
nd,
    torque the snot out of the bolts.=C2=A0 If the holes in the shocks are
    oblonged it gets even more problematic.<span class=3D"HOEnZb"><font col=
or=3D"#888888"><br>
      wrote:<br>
     =20
        The split washer damage the mounting surfaces. Try nulock
        washers. They stay tight. I have not had a problem in 3 years
        since I installed them on the rear shocks. There are two washer
        that kind of ratchet together but can still be removed when
        needed. They have a great video on their web sight. They are
        readily available at fastener shops.<br>
        Rich Kahn <br>
          <hr>From: <a href=3D"mailto:healeybruce@roadrunner.com"; target=3D=
"_blank">healeybruce@roadrunner.com</a><br>