Re: [Healeys] Trunk/boot lip rivets

To: healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Trunk/boot lip rivets
From: richard mayor <boyracer466@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 17:55:08 -0800

--089e01537a5407a8ce052a8371b2

Andy,

Can you post a photo of your G clamp?

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 8:44 PM, Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:

> Clever!
>
> Better get a patent (quick).
>
> Bob
>
> On 1/27/2016 3:40 PM, Andy Thorp wrote:
>
>> Thanks to everyone who replied with pics and ideas for this job.
>>
>> I ended up modifying a G clamp similar to one somebody sent pics of and
>> it worked very well. It was a bit clumsy to use but once I got the hang of
>> getting the metal clamped up fully first it was relatively straightforward.
>> The important features are having about 1 1/4" narrow rod that goes up
>> inside the shroud lip and the same coming down from the top and fixed so it
>> can't rotate. The RHS was a bit overkill in hindsight.
>>
>> The rivets I had were 1/4" long A125F0250A from rivetsonline.com and if
>> I were to do the job again I'd probably go with 3/8" long given that some
>> of the rivet gets squashed into the [now] slightly oversize holes. The
>> amount of force required to set the rivets is no more than is required to
>> tighten up a G clamp firmly on a piece of metal so it isn't really much
>> effort once the tool is made.
>>
>> Next job, painting.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Andy.

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/boyracer466@gmail.com

--089e01537a5407a8ce052a8371b2

ed, Jan 27, 2016 at 8:44 PM, Bob Spidell <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"m=
ailto:bspidell@comcast.net" target=3D"_blank">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;<=
/span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8=
ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Clever!<br>
Better get a patent (quick).<br>
Bob<br>
On 1/27/2016 3:40 PM, Andy Thorp wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Thanks to everyone who replied with pics and ideas for this job.<br>
I ended up modifying a G clamp similar to one somebody sent pics of and it =
worked very well. It was a bit clumsy to use but once I got the hang of get=
ting the metal clamped up fully first it was relatively straightforward. Th=
e important features are having about 1 1/4&quot; narrow rod that goes up i=
nside the shroud lip and the same coming down from the top and fixed so it =
can&#39;t rotate. The RHS was a bit overkill in hindsight.<br>
The rivets I had were 1/4&quot; long A125F0250A from <a href=3D"http://rive=
tsonline.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">rivetsonline.com</a> and=
 if I were to do the job again I&#39;d probably go with 3/8&quot; long give=
n that some of the rivet gets squashed into the [now] slightly oversize hol=
es. The amount of force required to set the rivets is no more than is requi=
red to tighten up a G clamp firmly on a piece of metal so it isn&#39;t real=
ly much effort once the tool is made.<br>
Next job, painting.<br>
Cheers,<br>
Andy.<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>