Re: [Healeys] Oil pressure in a BJ8

To: richard mayor <boyracer466@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Oil pressure in a BJ8
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 08:36:56 -0400
Cc: healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>

--001a11400ee604a067053b8596a1

Hi Richard, thank you so much for your post it solved for me a longstanding
Healey mystery!!
In the early '80s we had an elderly customer bring in a low mileage BN4
that had lost all oil pressure.
We found exactly the symptoms that you describe but I never knew the the
cause..
As I recall we installed a new cam and oil pump to resolve the problem but
I had always wondered why it had happened to this carefully driven low
mileage engine..
I'll sleep better tonight :-)
Michael S
BN1 #174

--
*If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.*

--001a11400ee604a067053b8596a1

ns ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Hi Richard, thank you so much for your po=
st it solved for me a longstanding Healey mystery!!<br></div><div class=3D"=
gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:smal=
l">In the early &#39;80s we had an elderly customer bring in a low mileage =
BN4 that had lost all oil pressure. <br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" =
style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">We found exa=
ctly the symptoms that you describe but I never knew the the cause.. <br></=
div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-se=
rif;font-size:small">As I recall we installed a new cam and oil pump to res=
olve the problem but I had always wondered why it had happened to this care=
fully driven low mileage engine..<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" sty=
le=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">I&#39;ll sleep =
better tonight :-)<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-fami=
ly:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Michael S<br></div><div class=
=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:=
"gmail_quote">On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 9:30 PM, richard mayor <span dir=3D"lt=
r">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:boyracer466@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">boyracer4=
le=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div d=
our good oil pressure but I fear you may have a problem.=C2=A0 I am assumin=
g that you have the &quot;high pressure&quot; oil pump from DW.<br><br>Base=
d upon that assumption, I can tell you that it is the rotary style of pump =
that was used on the 100-6 engines. There were many problems with this pump=
.=C2=A0 It has a very large capacity and as such it results in a lot of fri=
ction, or back pressure in the system. Namely, it put stress on the camshaf=
t gear, the driving spindle gear, the timing chain and the camshaft thrust =
plate.=C2=A0 This was a common problem with the early 100-6 motors.=C2=A0 O=
ne fix was to machine an oil grove in one side of the the trust plate. Then=
 an oil groove on both sides. Then a bronze thrust plate with oil grooves.=
=C2=A0 Timing chains stretched.=C2=A0 Cam and driving spindle gears receive=
d excessive wear.=C2=A0 That is why the switch was made to the gear style p=
ump.<br><br>The rotary style of pump is actually a very good design. Nissan=
 used it in the Z car motors but it was 2/3rd the size of the Healey pump s=
have used the DW &quot;high pressure&quot; oil pumps and discovered that at=
 some point, all of the teeth on the cam and driving spindles have been gro=
und off to such an extent that we have lost all oil pressure.=C2=A0 On a sh=
elf with my &quot;offerings to the god of speed&quot; I have a camshaft thr=
ust plate that has a groove that has been ground into it almost=C2=A0 1/8th=
 of an inch from the resistance of the oil pump forcing the camshaft into t=
he trust plate. I am sad to admit that it took me the loss of 2 race motors=
 to finally grasp why this was happening and before I switched back to the =
 about these pumps and the damage they cause in the Healey Marque publicati=
 Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 3:53 AM, Chris Dimmock <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:austin.healey@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">austin.healey@gmail.c=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><span cl=
ass=3D"">Hi all,<br>
Recently someone asked about oil pressures, and the oil being used.<br>
My BJ8 engine was totally rebuilt in 1998.<br>
Today, my wife and I went for a drive up the M1 motorway and I kept an eye =
on oil pressure. Water temp was 185 degrees all the time. Air temp was ~22 =
degrees Celcius.<br>
Lovely day for a drive to the Hunter Valley!<br>
Hot idle. After 70 minutes at ~70 mph, idle @ 850 - 900rpm =3D 40 lbs.<br>
Oil pressure at 2,000 rpm hot driving =3D 50 lbs<br>
3,000 - 5,000 rpm hot oil pressure =3D 60 lbs.<br>
My wife said we wouldn&#39;t make our 3rd wedding anniversary if I pulled 6=
,000 in overdrive top..... ;-)<br>
Denis Welch oil pump.<br>
Fresh Penrite HPR 40 oil and filter last weekend.<br>
Draw your own conclusions. Mine are:<br>
the thermostat is perfect, and<br>
so is the oil pressure relief valve.<br>
Best<br>
Chris<br>
______________________________<wbr>_________________<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
eam.net</a><br>
s/boyracer466@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.=
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
s/michaelsalter@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://auto=

_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div><div d=
 fix it with a hammer, you&#39;ve got an electrical problem.</span></font><=

--001a11400ee604a067053b8596a1--