Re: [Healeys] Overheating query

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Overheating query
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 09:18:59 +0200
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/45.2.0 a=9+rZDBEiDlHhcck0kWbJtElFXBc=:19 a=GW1xBdLrtEIA:10 a=r77TgQKjGQsHNAKrUKIA:9 a=p5YOmTROAAAA:8 a=zOoktvdPAAAA:8 a=pGLkceISAAAA:8 a=Q3cItGqo4ztIO-Sh9sIA:9 a=HqQyTyWyZHWfahAU:21 a=xrCIU0Gsbw0uEuO_:21 a=pILNOxqGKmIA:10 a=m3MdUl94G8cA:10 a=6A4ET-_ZT_GjOEaHfaYA:9 a=HTLbLj2uS3r8z4YO:21 a=U1dmfURufNO7pHId:21 a=xyi6PO0X4faK9-kJ:21 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10 a=ZrzNt5nKVsoIhQSPrF0z:22 a=GGGinmgZRQXmVEG1E52S:22 a=6kGIvZw6iX1k4Y-7sg4_:22 wl=body:22 xcat=Undefined/Undefined none
--===============6004084441474011941==
 boundary="------------59B4E3C4DEC5463D87B25844"

--------------59B4E3C4DEC5463D87B25844

You do need a sleeved thermostat to close of the bypass. If this stays
open part of the coolant will not pass the radiator which may lead to
overheating during stop&go/high speed driving.
The Smiths/AC etc. bellows thermostats can fail prematurely, on the
other hand it can last for donkeys years. The soldering was done by hand
so not very consistent and prone to faults in the manufacturing process.
Kees Oudesluijs

Op 7-9-2016 om 23:28 schreef i erbs:
> In most cases a failed water pump will leak out of the bottom  hole
> when the seals fail. Anothre way to test WP is to grab a fan blade and
> wiggle it. I found a bad water pump while out driving once that way.
> It will really move forward and back if the pump is bad. The easiest
> way to test a thermostat is to pull it and throw it into a pot heating
> water on the stove with a candy thermometer in the water. it should
> start to open 165-195 depending on the temp rating. I had a NOS
> sleeved stat in my car and it ran great with new HD radiator and high
> speed fan, then it just began to  overheat. tested the thermostat as
> described and it barely opened even at boiling temp. replaced it with
> a non-sleeved stat and all is great.
>
> Ira Erbs
> Portland,OR
>       _______          _______
>      (______ \____1959 BN4____/ _______)
>          (_________________________)
>           BT7 engine and disk brakes
>
> Please excuse random auto corrects and misspelled words
>
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 9:19 AM, Simon Lachlan
> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     This isn?t the usual one ....?my car always runs hot; what?s the
>     cure?? etc
>
>     No, this is my very own original.....
>
>     Background:-
>
>     1)The car, MkII BT7, has never had overheating issues before today.
>
>     2)It has a new, 12 month, modern design radiator.
>
>     3)It has the correct type(original design) Smiths sleeved
>     thermostat. (5 years old +/-).
>
>     4)The waterpump was in the car when I bought the car +/- 25 yrs ago.
>
>     Today?s symptoms:-
>
>     1)I took it out to the pub today and, on returning, I noticed that
>     there was HEAT and then that the gauge was off the scale.
>
>     2)There was plenty of coolant in the rad and it didn?t seem overly
>     hot.
>
>     3)I didn?t have much time, but I got the impression that the rad
>     was not blowing steam or making more of a ?cooling-off noise? than
>     usual.
>
>     4)I also got the impression that the engine was hotter than the rad.
>
>     Is this typical of a failed water pump?
>
>     How can one differentiate between thermostat issues and waterpump
>     issues?
>
>     Any ideas?
>
>     Simon

>     Unsubscribe/Manage:
>     http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/eyera3000@gmail.com
>     <http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/eyera3000@gmail.com>

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl

--------------59B4E3C4DEC5463D87B25844

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      close of the bypass. If this stays open part of the coolant will
      not pass the radiator which may lead to overheating during
      stop&amp;go/high speed driving. <br>
      The Smiths/AC etc. bellows thermostats can fail prematurely, on
      the other hand it can last for donkeys years. The soldering was
      done by hand so not very consistent and prone to faults in the
      manufacturing process.<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      Op 7-9-2016 om 23:28 schreef i erbs:<br>
cite="mid:CABXhz89NF-ZOWajG-OorJYumAmenypyJQ4J3fHcZzSUpo7qZZQ@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
        the bottom  hole when the seals fail. Anothre way to test WP is
        to grab a fan blade and wiggle it. I found a bad water pump
        while out driving once that way. It will really move forward and
        back if the pump is bad. The easiest way to test a thermostat is
        to pull it and throw it into a pot heating water on the stove
        with a candy thermometer in the water. it should start to open
        165-195 depending on the temp rating. I had a NOS sleeved stat
        in my car and it ran great with new HD radiator and high speed
        fan, then it just began to  overheat. tested the thermostat as
        described and it barely opened even at boiling temp. replaced it
        with a non-sleeved stat and all is great.</div>
                                     _______</span><br>
_______)</span><br>
(_________________________)</span></div>
                          misspelled words</div>
          Lachlan <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk";
target="_blank">simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk</a>&gt;</span>
          wrote:<br>
                  car always runs hot; what?s the cure?? etc</p>
                  original.....</p>
                  has never had overheating issues before today.</p>
                  month, modern design radiator.</p>
                  type(original design) Smiths sleeved thermostat. (5
                  years old +/-).</p>
                  in the car when I bought the car +/- 25 yrs ago.</p>
                  the pub today and, on returning, I noticed that there
                  was HEAT and then that the gauge was off the scale.</p>
                  of coolant in the rad and it didn?t seem overly hot.</p>
                  time, but I got the impression that the rad was not
                  blowing steam or making more of a ?cooling-off noise?
                  than usual.</p>
                  impression that the engine was hotter than the rad.</p>
                  pump?</p>
                  thermostat issues and waterpump issues?</p>
            ______________________________<wbr>_________________<br>
            Support Team.Net <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel="noreferrer"
            Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
            Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://www.team.net/archive"; rel="noreferrer"
              target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
            Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://www.team.net/forums"; rel="noreferrer"
              target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
            <a moz-do-not-send="true"

href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
            <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";
              rel="noreferrer"
            Unsubscribe/Manage: <a moz-do-not-send="true"

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/eyera3000@gmail.com";
              rel="noreferrer"
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"