Re: [Healeys] Engine Mounts

To: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <YNOTINK@msn.com>, Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Engine Mounts
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 16:29:45 -0800
--===============5461203314966492221==
 boundary="------------2907B3252FF86FD7DB8D9681"

--------------2907B3252FF86FD7DB8D9681

Agree, but the mounts separated where the rubber was bonded to the metal
backing.  The rubber looked OK and is pliable.

Fought the same issue for years with the exhaust mounts.  Finally put a
countersunk screw through the backing plates and the rubber to limit
travel; may have to do same with the motor mounts.  To be fair, it's
probably pretty difficult to get a really durable bond between rubber
and steel although the OEM suspension bushings seemed to hold up pretty
well.

Bob

On 11/12/2016 4:24 PM, WILLIAM B LAWRENCE wrote:

> The current thought is that rubber ages as well as being detrimentally
> affected by UV and environmental ozone. As such we are told not to use
> tires that are over six years old. I think the same thing happens to
> other rubber parts as well. I've installed rubber plugs and grommets
> on my BN1 that deteriorated with 6 months of installation. For that
> reason I won't buy "NOS" rubber parts and I think any new rubber parts
> should be date coded.

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      the metal backing.  The rubber looked OK and is pliable.  <br>
      put a countersunk screw through the backing plates and the rubber
      to limit travel; may have to do same with the motor mounts.  To be
      fair, it's probably pretty difficult to get a really durable bond
      between rubber and steel although the OEM suspension bushings
      seemed to hold up pretty well.</p>
      LAWRENCE wrote:<br>
cite="mid:DM3PR19MB056928F8A0CDBA3C0F070C9EA5BD0@DM3PR19MB0569.namprd19.prod.outlook.com"
      type="cite">
        charset=windows-1252">
      <!-- converted from text -->
border-left: #800000 2px solid; } --></style>
<!--
        {margin-top:0;
        margin-bottom:0}
-->
          style="font-size:12pt; color:#000000;
          font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">
            detrimentally affected by UV and environmental ozone. As
            such we are told not to use tires that are over six years
            old. I think the same thing happens to other rubber parts as
            well. I've installed rubber plugs and grommets on my BN1
            that deteriorated with 6 months of installation. For that
            reason I won't buy "NOS" rubber parts and I think any new
            rubber parts should be date coded.</p>
        <hr tabindex="-1" style="display:inline-block; width:98%">
            face="Calibri, sans-serif" color="#000000"><b>From:</b>
            Healeys <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net";>&lt;healeys-bounces@autox.team.net&gt;</a>
 on behalf of
            Bob Spidell <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";>&lt;bspidell@comcast.net&gt;</a><br>
            engine I am overhauling--had the
            rubber part separating from their metal backing.  This
            didn't surprise <br>
            me, as they have 25+ years and 120K+ miles on them. However,
            I got under <br>
            the BN2 the other day and noticed its mounts were separating
            as well, <br>
            and these only have a few years and a few hundred miles on
            them.   <br>
            Apparently--like most rubber or rubber/metal parts from
            contemporary <br>
            suppliers--they are crap. Anyone know a source for quality,
            durable <br>
            engine mounts for Big Healeys?<br>
            TIA,<br>
            Bob<br>