Re: [Healeys] Toyota five-speed problem

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Toyota five-speed problem
From: Kees Oudesluijs <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2018 23:52:53 +0100

--------------B86A6B14D52886D1B133B64F

50.000 miles on a Toyota box is very little unless very abused. Sounds a
bit like a worn synchro hub? Loosened nut on the main shaft? Did you use
the recommended oil by Toyota before in stead of MT90? Perhaps you
should change to the recommende oil.

Clutch OK?

Kees Oudesluijs

Op 25-12-2018 om 19:13 schreef Michael Oritt:
> Sixteen years and about 50,000 miles ago I purchased a conversion kit
> and a rebuilt Toyota five-speed transmission from Smith (Smitty)
> Brodie after second gear in my original three-speed box broke while I
> was travelling in CA following Conclave 2002 in Tahoe.  Smitty gave me
> the use of his shop, lift, tools and lots of help and along with a
> couple of local Healey guys whose names have escaped me we installed
> the new transmission and I was able to drive back home to Maryland
> with no issues.
>
> Last week I took the car for a long ride (see "Every Ride is a Test
> Ride" string) and on the way home I began to experience some
> difficulty getting the car into fourth gear, especially on upshifts,
> and though I was able to get into gear there was a "crunch" on
> engagement and often the stick would pop out of gear.   During another
> long ride yesterday things went further south and I was totally unable
> to get into fourth, plus there seemed to be some resistance when
> upshifting into third.
>
> I did a bit of googling and found several posts where people had
> similar issues and merely by changing their gearbox oil the problems
> went away.  Hoping against hope this morning I drained the Redline
> MT90 which has been in the car for about a year (no metal bits, etc)
> and refilled with fresh. Unfortunately nothing changed and I was still
> unable to get into fourth, either going up or down through the gears
> and despite my rev-matching or double-clutching.
>
> I've gotten a lot of good use of the gearbox and clutch and I'm
> certainly not complaining.  Plus I am fortunate to have a local
> mechanic who has worked on many manual boxes of all kinds, so I'm not
> afraid to remove the transmission and give it to him for a rebuild.
> However before I simply pull the unit out I wonder if there are any
> detent balls/springs or the like under the top cover or whatever that
> might have come loose, etc. and are causing the problem.  I know there
> are a lot of us with Smitty's conversions and if anyone has any
> thoughts I would appreciate input.
>
> Best--Michael Oritt

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl

--------------B86A6B14D52886D1B133B64F

  <head>
  </head>
      Sounds a bit like a worn synchro hub? Loosened nut on the main
      shaft? Did you use the recommended oil by Toyota before in stead
      of MT90? Perhaps you should change to the recommende oil.</p>
      Oritt:<br>
cite="mid:CAPTa0B6DjfK7dR4oKyW7zWg0d6GWtkH3LQZVODFfdV7irGm8uw@mail.gmail.com">
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">Sixteen
            years and about 50,000 miles ago I purchased a conversion
            kit and a rebuilt Toyota five-speed transmission from Smith
            (Smitty) Brodie after second gear in my original three-speed
            box broke while I was travelling in CA following Conclave
            2002 in Tahoe.  Smitty gave me the use of his shop, lift,
            tools and lots of help and along with a couple of local
            Healey guys whose names have escaped me we installed the new
            transmission and I was able to drive back home to Maryland
            with no issues.</span><br
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">Last
            week I took the car for a long ride (see "Every Ride is a
            Test Ride" string) and on the way home I began to experience
            some difficulty getting the car into fourth gear, especially
            on upshifts, and though I was able to get into gear there
            was a "crunch" on engagement and often the stick would pop
            out of gear.   During another long ride yesterday things
            went further south and I was totally unable to get into
            fourth, plus there seemed to be some resistance when
            upshifting into third.</span><br
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">I
            did a bit of googling and found several posts where people
            had similar issues and merely by changing their gearbox oil
            the problems went away.  Hoping against hope this morning I
            drained the Redline MT90 which has been in the car for about
            a year (no metal bits, etc) and refilled with fresh.
            Unfortunately nothing changed and I was still unable to get
            into fourth, either going up or down through the gears and
            despite my rev-matching or double-clutching.</span><br
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">I've
            gotten a lot of good use of the gearbox and clutch and I'm
            certainly not complaining.  Plus I am fortunate to have a
            local mechanic who has worked on many manual boxes of all
            kinds, so I'm not afraid to remove the transmission and give
            it to him for a rebuild.  However before I simply pull the
            unit out I wonder if there are any detent balls/springs or
            the like under the top cover or whatever that might have
            come loose, etc. and are causing the problem.  I know there
            are a lot of us with Smitty's conversions and if anyone has
            any thoughts I would appreciate input. </span><br
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">
          Oritt</div>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>