Re: [Healeys] Camshaft gear key

To: simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Camshaft gear key
From: Oliver Viitamaki <ov@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 12:04:56 -0800
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net

--------------780825D229364826A2BC7767

     Hi,

     Two things, first check the keyway in the gear (the side that faces
the block) for burrs. You may choose to lightly file the same end of the
keyway, just to make certain there are no burrs. Second, as crazy as it
sounds, apply a small amount of crazy glue to the key, so that it sticks
in the keyway in the camshaft. Naturally insure that the key is set
reasonably level in the keyway, when it is inserted with the crazy glue
on it, so that the gear will slide in properly.

     ov

On 27-Dec.-2018 9:20 a.m., simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Trust you all had a pleasant Christmas.
>
> Whilst lining up to replace my 3000?s harmonic balancer, I decided to
> replace anything in that general area that might fail before I next
> delve in there again. So, the chain, the tensioner, the seal
> etcetc?.all replaced. (I only seem to get in there about every 20 years).
>
> See attached.
>
> Started to rebuild and am attempting to get the chain in the right
> place and everything lined up. I get the bright links where they
> should be and start to push the two gears onto their shafts. All goes
> well until they?re _apparently_ almost home. Then the little key drops
> to the floor. About 4 times now?.maddening. Is there a pros? trick to
> this seemingly easy task? If there is, I?d really like to have it!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Simon

--------------780825D229364826A2BC7767

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
      faces the block) for burrs. You may choose to lightly file the
      same end of the keyway, just to make certain there are no burrs.
      Second, as crazy as it sounds, apply a small amount of crazy glue
      to the key, so that it sticks in the keyway in the camshaft.
      Naturally insure that the key is set reasonably level in the
      keyway, when it is inserted with the crazy glue on it, so that the
      gear will slide in properly.</p>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com";>simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com</a>
 wrote:<br>
        charset=windows-1252">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0cm;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#0563C1;
        text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#954F72;
        text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
        margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
Christmas.<o:p></o:p></p>
          harmonic balancer, I decided to replace anything in that
          general area that might fail before I next delve in there
          again. So, the chain, the tensioner, the seal etcetc?.all
          replaced. (I only seem to get in there about every 20
years).<o:p></o:p></p>
          the chain in the right place and everything lined up. I get
          the bright links where they should be and start to push the
          two gears onto their shafts. All goes well until they?re
<u>apparently</u>
          almost home. Then the little key drops to the floor. About 4
          times now?.maddening. Is there a pros? trick to this seemingly
          easy task? If there is, I?d really like to have it!<o:p></o:p></p>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"