Re: [Healeys] FW: Wiper drive

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: Wiper drive
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2019 14:51:07 -0800

--------------E4F3B25AB26D26539923030E

FWIW, I just noticed the latest edition of Moss's magazine 'Moss
Motoring' has a tech article on wipers.  Should be on their website
(mossmotors.com).

On 1/6/2019 5:20 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
> Hi Dennis, I've been where you are and worse!!!
> First thing to do is remove the wiper arms from the wheel boxes
> because things can get out of hand very quickly and you don't want
> them scratching the bodywork.
>
> Next remove the motor mounting nuts and studs so that the motor is
> completely free to move into position on the end of the tube. It's
> really easy to cross thread that tube nut so be sure to run it on with
> your fingers and only use a wrench when you are sure it is on straight.
>
> Now work on remounting the motor which may involve loosening both
> wheelbox nuts to let the wheelboxes "float" in their mounting holes.
>
> Good luck, it's one of the most difficult and uncomfortable jobs on a
> Healey.

> On Sun, Jan 6, 2019, 4:16 AM Dennis Gavin <djg@gavinassociates.com
>

>     Subject: Wiper motor to wheelbox drive assembly
>
>     I had issues with driver side wiper not sweeping the normal arch
>     and acting as if it were not engaged with the motor drive. I
>     eventually got under the dash and could see the tube that encases
>     the drive cable/gear between the motor and the driver side wheel
>     box was not located properly. I believe the flared end of the tube
>     should be captured in the wheelhouse bracket as the passenger side
>     is installed. It appears the flare should fit in a groove in the
>     wheelhouse bracket. I attempted to relocate the tube but had
>     trouble making it reach. I backed off the tube from the motor end
>     and now have the tube captured at the wheelbox but can't make the
>     nut reach the threads on the motor housing. I have attached a pic
>     that should explain much better. If anybody can steer me on this
>     I'd really appreciate your efforts. The pic shows the wheelbox to
>     the left with the tube captured in the bracket. To the right it
>     shows the nut unable to reach the threads on the motor assembly.
>
>     Dennis
>     63 BJ7

--------------E4F3B25AB26D26539923030E

  <head>
  </head>
      Motoring' has a tech article on wipers.  Should be on their
      website (mossmotors.com).<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7LJ22kT2ee_fKgBU5g_sdgD7snCWRZjN-e9nyvw1JqdShg@mail.gmail.com">
          the wheel boxes because things can get out of hand very
          quickly and you don't want them scratching the bodywork.</div>
          that the motor is completely free to move into position on the
          end of the tube. It's really easy to cross thread that tube
          nut so be sure to run it on with your fingers and only use a
          wrench when you are sure it is on straight.</div>
          involve loosening both wheelbox nuts to let the wheelboxes
          "float" in their mounting holes.</div>
          uncomfortable jobs on a Healey.</div>
            href="mailto:djg@gavinassociates.com";
moz-do-not-send="true">djg@gavinassociates.com</a>
          wrote:<br>
          .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><br>
          Subject: Wiper motor to wheelbox drive assembly<br>
[...]
          motor assembly.<br>
          Dennis<br>
          63 BJ7</blockquote>