Re: [Healeys] 100 grille shape

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 grille shape
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 11:13:00 -0800

--------------9FE344B914EBB77F85BD69E6

We 'finished' our BN2 restoration years ago, but I remember thinking the
same thing about the grille.  IIRC, the top of the grille is supposed to
curve towards the rear; since it's the highest point it has to extend
rearward some else you'd have a large gap with the shroud (the grille
opening is a bit 'peaked' as well).  As it is, even with an original--as
far as we know--grille it takes quite a bit of fiddling to get it placed
'just so' so there aren't any gaps around its edge.

Bog

On 2/14/2019 8:37 AM, S. Carr wrote:
>         As work progresses in a new shop, weâ??ve discovered that the
> front end of my 100 was damaged much worse than we thought (now I know
> why the car had no front splash pan!)  And I probably made matters
> worse by selling the original grilleâ??but it was minus a couple of
> teeth, so undoubtedly bentâ??and keeping a flea-market replacement.
>         The replacement is also bentâ??not realized when I bought
> it.
> The front of the shroud was pushed in at the right frontâ??maybe from
> accident, maybe from being moved around in the prior shop for
> yearsâ??and we need a properly shaped grille to shape the nose to (how I
> wish Moss had the repair panel for _that_!)
>         Photos of the grill are attached.  In particular, is the top
> of the grille supposed to be one continuous forward curve from side to
> side, or does it curve toward the rear at the top center?  With the
> slats removed there should be no problem straightening itâ??but to what
> shape?
> Thanks in advance,
> Sarah Carr
> BN1 in PA

--------------9FE344B914EBB77F85BD69E6

  <head>
  </head>
      thinking the same thing about the grille.  IIRC, the top of the
      grille is supposed to curve towards the rear; since it's the
      highest point it has to extend rearward some else you'd have a
      large gap with the shroud (the grille opening is a bit 'peaked' as
      well).  As it is, even with an original--as far as we know--grille
      it takes quite a bit of fiddling to get it placed 'just so' so
      there aren't any gaps around its edge.</p>
      cite="mid:3A436D5C19F840E69875765733E7F03A@HomePC">
          #000000">
            discovered that the front end of my 100 was damaged much
            worse than we thought (now I know why the car had no front
            splash pan!)  And I probably made matters worse by selling
            the original grilleâ??but it was minus a couple of teeth, so
            undoubtedly bentâ??and keeping a flea-market replacement.</div>
            bought it.  The front of the shroud was pushed in at the
            right frontâ??maybe from accident, maybe from being moved
            around in the prior shop for yearsâ??and we need a properly
            shaped grille to shape the nose to (how I wish Moss had the
            is the top of the grille supposed to be one continuous
            forward curve from side to side, or does it curve toward the
            rear at the top center?  With the slats removed there should
            be no problem straightening itâ??but to what shape?</div>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">
</pre>

--------------9FE344B914EBB77F85BD69E6--

--===============5545778870825426304==