Re: [Healeys] speedometer Cable BJ8

To: Robert Begani <rfbegani@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] speedometer Cable BJ8
From: Michael Salter <michael.salter@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 10:56:40 +1300
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net

--00000000000093aaf505834bd518

Hi Bob, I've read your report a couple of times but unfortunately I  have
difficulty following your description of what the process was.
A couple of things that may help.
I've encountered some angle drives wher the short section of cable was not
tight in the tube section of the first gear and would not transfer drive.
Also the most frequent cause of breakage of the short cable in the angle
drive was seizure of the odometer section of the speedometer.
This was only diagnosed by spinning the speedo cable input with a short
section of speedo cable in a cordless drill (anticlockwise).
Hope that helps.

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019, 10:27 AM Robert Begani, <rfbegani@gmail.com> wrote:

> So as part of putting the tunnel and interior back together so I can go
> for a ride soon, I looked at the speedo angle gear.   On the old gear the
> short cable that fits into the trans had sheared off, so I installed a new
> angle gear.  Just to see if that was working I installed the short piece of
> cable, turned on the engine, engaged the gear and looked down and saw the
> piece of cable spinning.  Then I took out the piece of cable and attached
> the speedo cable to the dash.  It was not spinning.  Interesting.  So I
> removed the cable from the housing and fit it into the angle drive gear and
> no movement.  Thinking it might be a problem of load, reinstalled the short
> piece, it spins even when I apply hand pressure to the end.  Looking at the
> cable and the housing and the fitting of the cable up to the stop, etc.
> cannot figure why it does not spin.  Before I buy a new cable and housing
> do any of you have ideas?
>

> Bob Begani
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com

--00000000000093aaf505834bd518

nfortunately I=C2=A0 have difficulty following your description of what the=
 process was.<div dir=3D"auto">A couple of things that may help.=C2=A0</div=
ction of cable was not tight in the tube section of the first gear and woul=
d not transfer drive.</div><div dir=3D"auto">Also the most frequent cause o=
f breakage of the short cable in the angle drive was seizure of the odomete=
r section of the speedometer.</div><div dir=3D"auto">This was only diagnose=
d by spinning the speedo cable input with a short section of speedo cable i=
n a cordless drill (anticlockwise).</div><div dir=3D"auto">Hope that helps.=
gmail_attr">On Tue, Mar 5, 2019, 10:27 AM Robert Begani, &lt;<a href=3D"mai=
ote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc s=
olid;padding-left:1ex"><div lang=3D"EN-US" link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F7=
2"><div class=3D"m_6206016485724871670WordSection1"><p class=3D"MsoNormal">=
o as part of putting the tunnel and interior back together so I can go for =
a ride soon, I looked at the speedo angle gear. =C2=A0=C2=A0On the old gear=
 the short cable that fits into the trans had sheared off, so I installed a=
 new angle gear.=C2=A0 Just to see if that was working I installed the shor=
t piece of cable, turned on the engine, engaged the gear and looked down an=
d saw the piece of cable spinning.=C2=A0 Then I took out the piece of cable=
 and attached the speedo cable to the dash.=C2=A0 It was not spinning.=C2=
=A0 Interesting.=C2=A0 So I removed the cable from the housing and fit it i=
nto the angle drive gear and no movement.=C2=A0 Thinking it might be a prob=
lem of load, reinstalled the short piece, it spins even when I apply hand p=
ressure to the end.=C2=A0 Looking at the cable and the housing and the fitt=
ing of the cable up to the stop, etc. cannot figure why it does not spin.=
=C2=A0 Before I buy a new cable and housing do any of you have ideas?<u></u=
class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial=
______________________________________<br>
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <=