Re: [Healeys] Balky Starter on BN2

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Balky Starter on BN2
From: Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 21:38:03 -0400
Cc: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000e0936f0589700415

Or perhaps there was some slight misalignment causing the pinion to jam
ever-so-slightly against the ring gear which was corrected when you
reinstalled the starter.

Best--Michael Oritt

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 7:20 PM Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:

> A while back, I posted a question to the List about the lame starter in
> my BN2 (thanks for all the suggestions guys).  I tried various types of
> jumping the starting system and checking connections and still the
> starter wouldn't turn the engine over even one full turn.  I finally
> pulled the starter and took it to a local shop; they opened it up and
> inspected it and said the starter was in great shape, except from some
> discoloration on the insulation of the field coils, which had obviously
> gotten hot due to all the balked starting attempts.  They reassembled
> the starter and gave it back (no charge ;).  So, I pulled the plugs to
> check mixture and adjust the valves, put the plugs back in and gave it a
> crank just for grins, not expecting any change.  Lo and behold, it
> cranked just fine--for a 100--and fired on the third or fourth crank
> (had been sitting for a while).  Nothing had been significantly changed,
> though when I last installed the starter I had used grade 8 flat washers
> under grade 8 split washers, and when I installed the starter this time
> I decided the flat washers were unnecessary--the holes are 'right sized'
> for the bolts--and left them out.  That is the only thing I changed
> (except for adjusting the valve lash).  I can only surmise there was
> enough resistance from the flat washers and the fairly thick coats of
> paint on both the starter and the engine plate to impede current flow to
> ground.  The split washers apparently dug through the layers of paint
> and established a good ground.
>
> Thought I'd pass this along.
>
> Bob

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michael.oritt@gmail.com

--000000000000e0936f0589700415

rhaps there was some slight misalignment causing the pinion to jam ever-so-=
slightly against the ring gear which was corrected when you reinstalled the=
iv><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:#3333ff">Best--Michael Oritt=
attr">On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 7:20 PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bsp=
 class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px so=
lid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">A while back, I posted a question to=
 the List about the lame starter in <br>
my BN2 (thanks for all the suggestions guys).=C2=A0 I tried various types o=
f <br>
jumping the starting system and checking connections and still the <br>
starter wouldn&#39;t turn the engine over even one full turn.=C2=A0 I final=
ly <br>
pulled the starter and took it to a local shop; they opened it up and <br>
inspected it and said the starter was in great shape, except from some <br>
discoloration on the insulation of the field coils, which had obviously <br=

gotten hot due to all the balked starting attempts.=C2=A0 They reassembled =
the starter and gave it back (no charge ;).=C2=A0 So, I pulled the plugs to=
check mixture and adjust the valves, put the plugs back in and gave it a <b=
r>
crank just for grins, not expecting any change.=C2=A0 Lo and behold, it <br=

cranked just fine--for a 100--and fired on the third or fourth crank <br>
(had been sitting for a while).=C2=A0 Nothing had been significantly change=
d, <br>
though when I last installed the starter I had used grade 8 flat washers <b=
r>
under grade 8 split washers, and when I installed the starter this time <br=

I decided the flat washers were unnecessary--the holes are &#39;right sized=
&#39; <br>
for the bolts--and left them out.=C2=A0 That is the only thing I changed <b=
r>
(except for adjusting the valve lash).=C2=A0 I can only surmise there was <=
br>
enough resistance from the flat washers and the fairly thick coats of <br>
paint on both the starter and the engine plate to impede current flow to <b=
r>
ground.=C2=A0 The split washers apparently dug through the layers of paint =
and established a good ground.<br>
Thought I&#39;d pass this along.<br>
Bob<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>