Re: [Healeys] Balky Starter on BN2

To: Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Balky Starter on BN2
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 19:39:32 -0700
Cc: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>

--------------DBF2EA957F083DDDC1721FAD

Could be, but there's not much wiggle room with the bolts.

On 5/21/2019 6:38 PM, Michael Oritt wrote:
> Or perhaps there was some slight misalignment causing the pinion to
> jam ever-so-slightly against the ring gear which was corrected when
> you reinstalled the starter.
>
> Best--Michael Oritt
>
> On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 7:20 PM Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net
>
>     A while back, I posted a question to the List about the lame
>     starter in
>     my BN2 (thanks for all the suggestions guys).  I tried various
>     types of
>     jumping the starting system and checking connections and still the
>     starter wouldn't turn the engine over even one full turn.  I finally
>     pulled the starter and took it to a local shop; they opened it up and
>     inspected it and said the starter was in great shape, except from
>     some
>     discoloration on the insulation of the field coils, which had
>     obviously
>     gotten hot due to all the balked starting attempts.  They reassembled
>     the starter and gave it back (no charge ;).  So, I pulled the
>     plugs to
>     check mixture and adjust the valves, put the plugs back in and
>     gave it a
>     crank just for grins, not expecting any change.  Lo and behold, it
>     cranked just fine--for a 100--and fired on the third or fourth crank
>     (had been sitting for a while).  Nothing had been significantly
>     changed,
>     though when I last installed the starter I had used grade 8 flat
>     washers
>     under grade 8 split washers, and when I installed the starter this
>     time
>     I decided the flat washers were unnecessary--the holes are 'right
>     sized'
>     for the bolts--and left them out.  That is the only thing I changed
>     (except for adjusting the valve lash).  I can only surmise there was
>     enough resistance from the flat washers and the fairly thick coats of
>     paint on both the starter and the engine plate to impede current
>     flow to
>     ground.  The split washers apparently dug through the layers of paint
>     and established a good ground.
>
>     Thought I'd pass this along.
>
>     Bob

>     Unsubscribe/Manage:
>     http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michael.oritt@gmail.com

--------------DBF2EA957F083DDDC1721FAD

  <head>
  </head>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAPTa0B79F-ZiMmLGm9qBOgbCHnqftgtt2E+zC8AJrssgHWT6Tg@mail.gmail.com">
          there was some slight misalignment causing the pinion to jam
          ever-so-slightly against the ring gear which was corrected
          when you reinstalled the starter.</div>
          Oritt</div>
          PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";
            moz-do-not-send="true">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">A
          while back, I posted a question to the List about the lame
          starter in <br>
          my BN2 (thanks for all the suggestions guys).  I tried various
          types of <br>
          jumping the starting system and checking connections and still
          the <br>
          starter wouldn't turn the engine over even one full turn.  I
          finally <br>
          pulled the starter and took it to a local shop; they opened it
          up and <br>
          inspected it and said the starter was in great shape, except
          from some <br>
          discoloration on the insulation of the field coils, which had
          obviously <br>
          gotten hot due to all the balked starting attempts.  They
          reassembled <br>
          the starter and gave it back (no charge ;).  So, I pulled the
          plugs to <br>
          check mixture and adjust the valves, put the plugs back in and
          gave it a <br>
          crank just for grins, not expecting any change.  Lo and
          behold, it <br>
          cranked just fine--for a 100--and fired on the third or fourth
          crank <br>
          (had been sitting for a while).  Nothing had been
          significantly changed, <br>
          though when I last installed the starter I had used grade 8
          flat washers <br>
          under grade 8 split washers, and when I installed the starter
          this time <br>
          I decided the flat washers were unnecessary--the holes are
          'right sized' <br>
          for the bolts--and left them out.  That is the only thing I
          changed <br>
          (except for adjusting the valve lash).  I can only surmise
          there was <br>
          enough resistance from the flat washers and the fairly thick
          coats of <br>
          paint on both the starter and the engine plate to impede
          current flow to <br>
          ground.  The split washers apparently dug through the layers
          of paint <br>
          and established a good ground.<br>
          Thought I'd pass this along.<br>
          Bob<br>