Re: [Healeys] silicone brake fluid

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] silicone brake fluid
From: Kees Oudesluijs <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 15:07:22 +0200

--------------BF6702419EFE8DA972085EBF

The main problem with Silicon fluid/DOT 5 is that it hardly absorbs
water, so when water enters the sytem (due to condensation) it will sink
to the lowest point and causes corrosion and havoc. On it own not a big
problem if you renew the fluid every 2 years or so, as you also would do
with DOT 4, but most people using DOT 5 never replace the fluid.

Some manufacturers do not recommend DOT 5 hence the warning ?Using
Silicon Brake fluid will void warranty?.

Perhaps the grease they use in the factory at assembly is not compatible
with DOT 5.

Perhaps some rubber items are not suitable for DOT 5, however my
understandig is theat DOT is OK with new rubber parts as long as you
first clean them using alcohol/meth. spirits and dry them thoroughly.

Once the rubber parts have been exposed to DOT 4 you should not use them
with DOT 5 or vise versa. Some people do at their own peril.

Kees Oudesluijs

Op 15-6-2019 om 17:14 schreef Brian Drab:

> Last week I completed a driving tour in our BJ8. It was a great tour
> and everything ran well except for one thing.  4 or 5 times, when I
> used the clutch, the clutch master cylinder bypassed. The rest of the
> time it worked well. As I don?t want to be caught without a clutch at
> a later date I am changing the clutch master cylinder. I have received
> a replacement and am preparing to install it.
>
> On the box is a quick summary of the bleeding procedure under a
> warning ? ?Using Silicon Brake fluid will void warranty?. I have used
> silicon fluid for well over 10 tears and never experienced any
> problems with it and have never seen or heard of this type of warning
> before. I have never heard of any destructive qualities of Silicon fluid.
>
> My question is ? does anyone have any idea what it is about.
>
> For me to change to Dot4 fluid is quite a big deal as I would be
> changing out the clutch as well as the brake system seeing as they
> share a common reservoir.
>
> I?d appreciate any comments on the warning.
>
> Brian Drab
>
> BJ8

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl

--------------BF6702419EFE8DA972085EBF

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
      absorbs water, so when water enters the sytem (due to
      condensation) it will sink to the lowest point and causes
      corrosion and havoc. On it own not a big problem if you renew the
      fluid every 2 years or so, as you also would do with DOT 4, but
      most people using DOT 5 never replace the fluid.</p>
      ?Using Silicon Brake fluid will void warranty?.<br>
      compatible with DOT 5.</p>
      understandig is theat DOT is OK with new rubber parts as long as
      you first clean them using alcohol/meth. spirits and dry them
      thoroughly. <br>
      use them with DOT 5 or vise versa. Some people do at their own
      peril.  <br>
      Drab:<br>
cite="mid:QB1PR01MB3090C615CDE83F5F1C4255D8ABE90@QB1PR01MB3090.CANPRD01.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM">
        charset=windows-1252">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0cm;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#0563C1;
        text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#954F72;
        text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
        margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
          BJ8. It was a great tour and everything ran well except for
          one thing.  4 or 5 times, when I used the clutch, the clutch
          master cylinder bypassed. The rest of the time it worked well.
          As I don?t want to be caught without a clutch at a later date
          I am changing the clutch master cylinder. I have received a
          replacement and am preparing to install it.<o:p></o:p></p>
          bleeding procedure under a warning ? ?Using Silicon Brake
          fluid will void warranty?. I have used silicon fluid for well
          over 10 tears and never experienced any problems with it and
          have never seen or heard of this type of warning before. I
          have never heard of any destructive qualities of Silicon
          fluid.
          <o:p></o:p></p>
          what it is about.
          <o:p></o:p></p>
          big deal as I would be changing out the clutch as well as the
          brake system seeing as they share a common reservoir.
          <o:p></o:p></p>
warning.<o:p></o:p></p>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________