Re: [Healeys] Another Rant on replacement parts

To: Gary Anderson <Editorgary@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Another Rant on replacement parts
From: i erbs <eyera3000@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 12:08:22 -0700
Cc: Ahealey help <healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000b3d17e058da8dea4

Well said Gary.
If I buy cheap, I expect issues, but some times I have more time than money.
That said, Moss will ship parts it knows are not right or poor quality and
that is a bigger issue.
I bought an aluminum valve cover through a local vender who pays for
shipping. When it arrived it had gouges from the polishing process. He sent
it back. When he asked to check the inventory before sending a replacement,
he was told that all of them looked the same and did he want them to ship
another one for me?
That is a bigger concern.

Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
typos and artifacts are the fault of my phone

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019, 11:38 AM editorgary--- via Healeys <
healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Frankly, I don't and never have accepted the lame excuse from Moss Motors
> (in whatever ownership/management incarnation) that they have to provide
> ill-fitting, unsuitable poor-wearing and out-of-spec parts because a
> contingent of our hobby "won't pay the higher price for quality parts."
>
> In my view, the near-monopoly supplier of parts for our hobby should be
> providing replacements that in fit, material and quality match the original
> parts and that is the only level of quality that they will sell. When they
> sell poor parts just because the supplier makes them for less and charges
> less, then they undermine the respectability of the original marque around
> which the hobby was built and leave people believing that Healeys -- and by
> extension all "old English cars" were of poor quality and reliability when
> they were originally built.
>
> Provide good quality that produces good performance and it will be
> reflected in the prices of the cars on the market. There is a reason why
> Mercedes-Benz models that once cost the same as our cars of the same
> vintage are now worth more on the market than our cars. It's because the
> primary supplier of replacement parts for Mercedes-Benzes is Daimler AG and
> they will only sell parts that are of equivalent quality to the originals.
> For those hobbyists who find those prices unacceptable, they can substitute
> sweat equity in hunting for parts off unrestorable examples.
>
> Just one person's opinion, mind you, but I have first-hand experience in
> restoring, driving and buying/selling both brands.
>
> Best
> Gary Anderson
>

>     As far as repops go, I asked a Moss rep one time why a lot of the
> reproduction parts and the rubber was so bad and did not fit well.  He told
> me that he could sell better parts for our cars but very few people will
> buy them.  If he lists both a premium part and a cheaper version, almost
> 95% will buy the cheap part. It would be foolish to inventory such slow
> moving parts, so they sell what the majority will buy.  Everyone wants the
> parts to be cheap.  S
>
>     So, I guess you get what you pay for.
>
> Mike MacLean

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/eyera3000@gmail.com

--000000000000b3d17e058da8dea4

 issues, but some times I have more time than money.</div><div dir=3D"auto"=
>That said, Moss will ship parts it knows are not right or poor quality and=
 that is a bigger issue.</div><div dir=3D"auto">I bought an aluminum valve =
cover through a local vender who pays for shipping. When it arrived it had =
gouges from the polishing process. He sent it back. When he asked to check =
the inventory before sending a replacement, he was told that all of them lo=
oked the same and did he want them to ship another one for me?</div><div di=
r=3D"auto">That is a bigger concern.<br><br><div data-smartmail=3D"gmail_si=
gnature" dir=3D"auto">Ira Erbs<br>Portland, OR<br>typos and artifacts are t=
ir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Jul 14, 2019, 11:38 AM editorgary--=
- via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";>healeys@autox.t=
margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
e excuse from Moss Motors (in whatever ownership/management incarnation) th=
at they have to provide ill-fitting, unsuitable poor-wearing and out-of-spe=
c parts because a contingent of our hobby &quot;won&#39;t pay the higher pr=
ice for quality parts.&quot;</font></div>

ur hobby should be providing replacements that in fit, material and quality=
 match the original parts and that is the only level of quality that they w=
ill sell. When they sell poor parts just because the supplier makes them fo=
r less and charges less, then they undermine the respectability of the orig=
inal marque around which the hobby was built and leave people believing tha=
t Healeys -- and by extension all &quot;old English cars&quot; were of poor=
 quality and reliability when they were originally built. <br>

nd it will be reflected in the prices of the cars on the market. There is a=
 reason why Mercedes-Benz models that once cost the same as our cars of the=
 same vintage are now worth more on the market than our cars. It&#39;s beca=
use the primary supplier of replacement parts for Mercedes-Benzes is Daimle=
r AG and they will only sell parts that are of equivalent quality to the or=
iginals. For those hobbyists who find those prices unacceptable, they can s=
ubstitute sweat equity in hunting for parts off unrestorable examples. <br>

irst-hand experience in restoring, driving and buying/selling both brands.<=
/font></div>

 time why a lot of the reproduction parts and the rubber was so bad and did=
 not fit well.=C2=A0 He told me that he could sell better parts for our car=
s but very few people will buy them.=C2=A0 If he lists both a premium part =
and a cheaper version, almost 95% will buy the cheap part. It would be fool=
ish to inventory such slow moving parts, so they sell what the majority wil=
l buy.=C2=A0 Everyone wants the parts to be cheap.=C2=A0 S<br>

rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <=
a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" targ=